Quotes: Getting kind of frustrated

Hey all:

I’m new to Logseq and have been going in pretty heavy over the last week after first dabbling with Obsidian. I love the fluidity of the app and layout of backlinks and more or less every aspect of it…except for one thing.

Quotes.

I can’t figure out how to do a query for quotes because I can’t find a standard format to use that allows for easy query.

The app has a an actual / command for quotes to show them, but zero guidelines on how to query that format and no one seems to know on Reddit. Unless I manually type in a #quote tag underneath the formatted quote, nothing comes up even when i simply search “quote” or “quotes” using search.

As a non-coder, the reason I moved on from Obsidian to Logseq was it seemed simpler and less geared towards coders, but now I’m starting to regret my decision and thinking of switching to something else.

Are there plans to formalize queries for the default command prompts in the future? Because it seems like quotes are pretty common when taking notes.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Which quote syntax are you using?

There’re two ways to add quotes in Logseq:

1. Using > in Markdown.
  2. Typing <quote to create a quote.

Since quotes are not extracted and stored in the database, the workaround is to use a regex query now.

If you’re using >, you can use a regex query {{query "> "}}.
If you’re using <quote, you can use {{query "#+BEGIN_QUOTE"}}.

4 Likes

I was trying to the second option, the greater than option. The query you provided worked great for that, but the formatting is a mess in table view and also a mess in the blocks themselves. Could definitely be something on my part so I’m all ears. I don’t get when using the default less than it puts the quote below the info.

Here’s a few images.

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 2.04.17 AM
then in table view it dropped down about 40 spaces and looked like this:
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 2.04.31 AM
And then the < version:
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 2.05.01 AM

It’s definitely a bug, can you file an issue on GitHub?

OK, filled it out as detailed as I could. hope it’s helpful and that they can eventually give a more detailed format on how to create more searchable quotes :slight_smile:

3 Likes