Seeking Advice: A page vs. A page with block collections

Let me use my book note as an example.

So now I’m reading a book “why we’re polarized.” I make notes while reading. Here I can do it both ways.

1. I create a dedicated page with pre-determined structure. Everytime I read the book, I open that page and put down the notes.
  2. I put down all notes in the Journal on the day I read it. I will of course have a page and I will tag that page in the Journal. If I clicked my tag/page, I will see all my notes collected from all blocks from the Journal.

So the dilemma here is that I want to keep track on the date and be able to go back to review the Journals (with the notes I took that day). But when those note blocks were collected, they are not very structured. I can’t organize them in chapters.

But if I use a page with pre-determined chapter structure. I sort of lost the whole purpose of the Journal design here (which I like) .

Any thought?

Example-structured

Example-unstructured but collected from Journal

1 Like

Maybe you could use the hierarchy feature to solve this issue. You create a page for [[Why We’re Polarized]]. You create another hierarchical page for each chapter. This’ll afford you wiki links like [[Why We’re Polarized/Ch1]] and [[Why We’re Polarized/Ch2]]. Then you can use your journal in the usual manner.

Another option.
Keep the notes in the journal and then on the page use block embeds to organize those notes. Best of both worlds.

1 Like

This is exactly my dilemma with how to structure my book notes. I would appreciate any other opinion on this. Or, I would appreciate seeing how other people do this differently.