Semi-newbie (non-coder)- my struggles and conclusion after the Learning Sprint

Hi All, I’ve battled and struggled with the Learning Sprint, in an attempt to better be able to use Logseq for PKM and 2nd Brain knowledge acquisition and retrieval. Here’s my results.

I study nutrition, psychology, and international relations, amongst other interests. So basically how humans work, and how the world works, and all the inter-connectedness. Thus an app that thrives on inter-connectedness is perfect. As I’ve said elsewhere, I’ve used OneNote for years, and am very happy to get away from awkward folder structures. But as a digitally competent non-coder I’ve struggled to ‘understand’ the depths of Logseq.

I’ve come to a conclusion which works well for me. As Ramses suggested we document our progress, here is mine, even though I’ve had a turn-around, and this is probalby not quite on-topic. However it might help others from a similar background who are struggling to find their way.

I’ve been unable to come to terms with Queries (or Properties), and what they are used for. I haven’t been able to figure out how they can help me in my workflow, tying knowledge chunks together and overseeing them.

In frustration, I gave up attempting to use Logseq for knowledge storage, and went back to exclusively using it as my day to day Daily Journal. I use it as my frictionless Journal input, with Tags, with Indentation for sub-subjects, all that good stuff.

What I’ve stopped using it for is all the knowledge PKM stuff. I’ve gone back to using Obsidian for that, I just find (with my non-programing, non-coding background), that I can oversee connections and subjects better there.

Not ideal having more than one system, bit it works and it works smoothly enough. Since using Logseq only as my Daily Journal (my personal intimate thoughts), I find I’m much faster and more intuitive, loving this wonderful tool, and it flows so well for me now.

And finally, my multiple devices. I have a Win10 laptop, an Android phone, and a Linux laptop. How to interlink those together? I’d attempted unsuccessfully to get my phone connected with Dropbox and Cryptomator, so I’ve given up on that and I now use Joplin, with it’s built-in encryption, as the connection between all three. So any writing I do on the Linux laptop, I do it in Joplin. Anything I write on my phone (I swipe to write, and this is my fastest easiest data input of all), I put in Joplin. And back on my ThinkPad, it’s all waiting for me to carry over into either Logseq, my Daily Journal, or Obsidian, my PKM. This works ‘well enough’ with no hiccups or friction.

So that is my Learning Sprint, maybe not what I was hoping for, but I’ve found a solution that works well over my devices, and maybe this can be a guideline for other less coding- minded souls.

I’m excited about my growing ability and understanding of Logseq, but for the moment, this is good enough (tags and indentation). I also hope this gives the Devs an insight into the struggles of less coding-technically minded but passionate users.

2 Likes

I can definitely empathize with this post. I had high hopes for the learning series and just felt completely overwhelmed in them. While I do have some programming background, it’s not my norm. I have been muddling my way along and predominantly using the journal functionality, which I love.

I think for me, the learning curve is steep and requires a significant amount of butt in seat time to figure everything out. That’s my biggest challenge right there. I’m busy. I don’t have a lot of time. While I intuitively know that the time spent now will reap rewards later, I can’t manufacture the time to learn this. I will continue using it because I like it (I am also maintaining two separate Logseq instances, one for work and one for personal use).

The next step to learn for me is templates and then maybe some basic queries to find all those pesky To Do’s I keep using :smiley:

I see a lot of common themes in this, as Logseq and overview are difficult topics. Even with the excessive butt in seat time I had with Logseq I still have a hard time putting everything together. It’s slowly getting there and hopefully once I do figure it out I will be using it as a base for a video series because I need to document the process somewhere.

Really waiting for the syncing and hopefully a lot of improvements on the UX front. As it stands now Logseq is good for slightly technical people but once it’s start being useful for the masses I expect a major growth.

Any comments on major eye openers during the learning sprint?

2 Likes