Shortcut for creating a block below the current one

I constantly do this:

1. Edit a block of text.
  2. Want to add a block below
  3. Press enter and accidentally move half the current block into a new block
  4. Panic and try to fix it.

A shortcut, such as alt+enter that just adds a block below the current one would be great.
A shortcut to add a block indented below the current would be great as well. Say ctrl+enter.
Even just adding them ass an optional user definable shortcut.

Thanks for all your great work :slight_smile:

try to press t e while you’re NOT in edit mode (press esc or click outside of the text, in the margin). a small A should appear in the top right.now enter shoudl not split your block, alt+anter will.
(read help section > Toggle Enter/Alt+Enter for inserting new block : t e)

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, but this isn’t what i was talking about. That allows making newlines within the current block enter instead of shift+enter.
I was asking for a way to shift the cursor to a new block below the current one regardless of the position within the current block. EG:
The cursor position is represented by “|”

• this is a block, i made an edit here->|<- there is more content after
    If I press enter I get this:
  • this is a block, i made an edit here->
  • |<- there is more content after
    I want a command that does this:
  • this is a block, i made an edit here-><- there is more content after
  • |

I often find myself getting stuck in the middle of large blocks and having to annoyingly move to the end just to make a new one below.

oh sorry, yes alt+enter would be useful indeed! def faster than ctrl+end , arrowD, enter ! :slight_smile: voted

I have already voted, but I would like to reinforce the request.

I am also quite often in this situation and would really like to have such a shortcut (actually both: one for a new block below on the same level and one for an indented sub-block). I know this from other outliners and find it really useful.

Just a note: I use ALT+enter to cyle through the status of TODOs so I haven chosen CTRL+SHIFT+enter :wink:

BUT: currently it doesn’t work to extend the already existing shortcut …
:shortcuts {:editor/new-block ["enter" "ctrl+shift+enter"], ...}

I thought that maybe “enter” would still work as before but CTRL+SHIFT+enter might always create a new block - but it does not.

In retrospect, this is not really a big surprise - but I thought it was worth a try.