Show full URL on hover

Although you can embed clickable links to web pages in your Logseq blocks, they’re not as easy to work with as links in a web page:

• When hovering the mouse pointer over a web link, it would be good if the URL was visible in a tooltip or in a floating status at the bottom of the window - just like a web browser. This would enable you to see where the link went before you clicked it.
  • It would be good if right-clicking on a web link gave a context menu that included a “Copy URL” option. This would allow you to grab a URL without having to visit the page first.

Both reading and copying a URL can currently be achieved by editing the block but these changes would make those tasks more convenient.

If it wouldn’t cause too much of a performance hit, having a thumbnail of the target webpage along with the URL would be nice, like when floating over a tab in some web browsers.

I was worried that this might come up when @Bader edited the title to include the word “preview” :slight_smile:

I was simply asking to be able to easily see what URL the link leads to. Whilst I’m sure some users would like a thumbnail-style preview, that sounds like a whole other feature (and not one that I would want enabled by default).

2 Likes

For that I think GitHub - pengx17/logseq-plugin-link-preview: Preview links in logseq works well enough.

3 Likes

Oh thanks. I didn’t know about that one. (Or I knew, but forgot - it is possible that is where I had the idea from, in the back of my head.)

2 Likes

Showing the URL when hovering over a link label can be achieved via CSS. Copy following in custom.css:

a.external-link:hover::after {
  content: attr(href);
  font-size: 80%;
  display:block;
  position: absolute;
  background-color: var(--ls-primary-background-color);
  z-index: 9999;
  pointer-events: none;
}

You can further play around with different colors, e.g. filter: brightness(80%). Looks like this on hover:
url_on_hover

Regarding second point: Voted, these things indeed make life easier!
And while we are at it: “Copy to clibpoard” would also be cool for codeblocks to quickly copy/paste a snippet.

5 Likes

My bad I updated the title. Feel free to edit it if you still think it doesn’t fit.

Thanks for the idea, the snippet works very well!

For code blocks the plugin (desktop) solution would be GitHub - vyleung/logseq-copy-code-plugin: a Logseq plugin to copy code from code blocks and inline code to your clipboard which also works for inline code.

1 Like

I’ve revised that CSS snippet to add a delay before the tool-tip appears, so that moving your mouse across links does cause visual noise:

/* Show external link URLs on hover */
a.external-link::after {
  font-size: 80%;
  display: block;
  background-color: var(--ls-secondary-background-color);
  padding: 0.3em 0.6em;
  border-radius: 0.2em;
  opacity: 0;
  transition: opacity 0;
}
  opacity: 1;
  transition: opacity 100ms 900ms;
}
1 Like

In case it wasn’t obvious, I intended to say: “does not cause visual noise”

1 Like

Grant, you are awesome!

Thank you so much for sharing!
I have modified it slightly to make it work better for me.

changelog:

• position tooltip right underneath the link
  • add borders to tooltip
  • use em unit for font size (personal preference)
  • use link color instead of text color
  • modify the transition for a smother experience
  • only enable for desktop
/* Show external link URLs on hover */
/* Desktop devices only */
@media (min-width: 768px) {
  a.external-link {
    position: relative;
  }

a.external-link::after {
    font-size: 0.8em;
    display: block;
    background-color: var(--ls-secondary-background-color);
    color: var(--ls-external-link-color);
    padding: 0.3em 0.6em;
    border-radius: 0.2em;
    opacity: 0;
    transition: opacity 300ms 600ms;
    border-color: var(--ls-border-color);
    border-width: 2px;
    left: 0;
    top: 100%;
    white-space: nowrap;
    margin-top: 0.3em;
  }

a.external-link:hover {
    opacity: 1;
  }

opacity: 1 !important;
    transition: opacity 500ms 200ms;
  }
}

I am adding this to my upcoming Nord theme.

I highly recommend sharing this in #look-what-i-built; if you can’t, I’ll be happy to do so and add reference and credit.

2 Likes

By all means share away!

2 Likes