Super noob wanting to understand some basics?

Ok, so I’ve been watching a myrid of videos and reading at least as many docs and my head is now swimming. So as I am more of a learning by doing I thought I’d instead ask how to do one that that I really need (and I think logseq can do?) then build on that.

So the idea of a daily journal that I can then organize into other things (task lists, misc lists, tags, etc) super appeals to me.

So one example of something that I’d like to try is to say add a “French word of the day” or maybe that day I learn a French word and a word in Lingala. So is there a way, when writing a journal that I can make the line/block (not sure about the terminology): “Good Day - Bon jour” show up in maybe another page? (again, not sure about the terminology)

I very often will have a word I want to add to a list of vocabulary I want to maintain, or a movie that I want to see which would be nice to put into a “Movies to see” page etc. I know Logseq can do much more than this but if i can figure this would that would be a starting point?

next is for me to figure out tasks but I’ll save that for later

Thanks in advance!

Hi.
Since you have already read and watched documentation, let’s go straight to the practice.
Try:

1. Write in your journal: Good Day - Bonjour #[[French Word of Day]]
  2. Then, press Enter
  3. Click on #[[French Word of Day]] in the line above
  4. You are now in the page French Word of Day and should see a reference to Good Day - Bonjour #[[French Word of Day]] entered in the journal. If you don’t, try scrolling down or unfolding the section Linked References.

A similar approach can be used for your “Movies to see” question.

2 Likes

Hey there,

If you just want to show the French words of the day in a list, then etc’s way is an easy way to do that. But if you’re using Logseq to learn a language, you might want to try out the flashcards functionality. It’s similar the application Anki, using a method call Spaced Repetition. It shows you one side of a #card with a piece of text (i.e. French word) and allowing you to flip the card with the answer (i.e. translation).

Nice video about it: How to quickly create spaced repetition flashcards in Logseq using Notepad++ and Excel – Logseq Community Hub
Or in the docs: https://docs.logseq.com/#/page/flashcards

1 Like

Thank you! Thats awesome, not sure why that didn’t click until you showed me the example for my use case, but regardless - super appreciated!

1 Like

Thanks! That indeed sounds like it would be more appropriate for learning so will try working up to that!

1 Like