The difference between Logseq's block embeds and page embeds

In Logseq there are two ways to embed blocks:

1. By embedding a block and its children
  2. By embedding an entire page with all of its blocks

Block embeds

The easiest way to embed a block is by calling the block embed shortcode using the trigger menu. Type /block embed, press the Down key, and hit Enter to select the option in the trigger menu:

Now, you get the following shortcode:
block-embed-shortcode_1642513313850_0

Between the ((double parentheses)), you place the address of the block you’d like to embed. Alternatively, you can start typing words here to search for a block.

Page embeds

Apart from (branches of) blocks, we can also embed entire pages. To do so, use the /page embed trigger to call the page embed shortcode:

Now, you get the following shortcode:

Inside the [[double brackets]], type the name of the page you wish to embed. Click outside the block and the page’s contents will show.

Not sure if you’ve embedded a block or a page? Page embeds always show the page name on top of the embed (in this example the page Parent A):

Hello, can I see the hierarchy of the embedded block somewhere? In Roam it is one click and hierarchy breadcrumb appears on the top of the embedded block. Do I miss something here, or the feature is missing?

Hi @Costel, the feature should work the same. But your Roam and Logseq examples seem to be different; in the Roam example, the block reference is on a different page whereas it’s not clear to me where you’ve referenced the block in Logseq.

Sometimes the Logseq block reference counter doesn’t register a newly created reference. In that case, a re-index of your graph (from the left sidebar) fixes the block ref.

P.S. I’ve just merged your two messages, to keep context.