Toggle commands - can I use them while writing?

Is there a way to invoke the toggle commands while writing? From what I understand if I want to do somthing like toggle document mode I have to

• click on the sidebar
  • type t
  • type d
  • click on the editor again

What I’d like to do is to go between the two modes (or some of the others I see in the keyboard shortcuts) while writing.

When I change a keyboard shortcut it still only works if I click on the sidebar, which doesn’t resolve my problem.

2 Likes

This has been a major pain in the butt for me, as well. I don’t think there’s another way to do it, though I could be wrong. If nobody has an answer, maybe post it again as a feature request?

1 Like

Have you tried pressing escape to exit editing mode, performing your toggle command, and then enter/return to return to editing mode?

I find I don’t always go back to editing where I want or expect, however you can exit and enter edit mode this way.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this, and thanks for the answer. I had the exact same question. :smile: :bowing_man:

I see that this topic is a bit older now, but I’m curious does anyone know if this is the preferred way to do things? It does work, again thanks for the question and answer, but is this the correct preferred, blessed way that the developers intend us to use the software?

Most other applications have quick keyboard shortcuts that you only have to press “once” even if it’s like modifer-key+letter, then you’re done. And it’s really easy to double-tap and toggle on and off. Is this the best way? four separate key presses? escape, t, d, enter. Then to go back escape, t, d, enter?

I’m not trying to criticize or anything, just looking for clarification, thanks :smile: