Troubles ever since migrating Evernote notes

I needs some help. I love Logseq, I especially love that I can sync it with my iPad and iPhone.

At some point I tried to migrate old notes over from Evernote to Logseq. I found an app that would help me export evernote to .md files. So I pulled the trigger and did it.

Because of all the notes I had in Evernote my graph went from 400 pages to about 4000. It wasn’t as smooth as I thought it would be.

There are several problems, but my main problem is that ever since the merge my iPhone version won’t work. The iPad version does work, although it took forever for it update and sync all the changes. The phone however would freeze up. I changed to testflight version to try help the developers see what’s happening but no fixes.

From my research I think it has to do with one of two things: oversized blocks created by massive amounts of text that came over from Evernote which ended up being rendered as one block, and/or broken URLs that came over which were embedded in the Evernote notes. There is also an issue with missing assets.

So I’d like to know if there is a easy way to find oversized block so I can delete them, or a way to find broken URLs.

Some random thoughts here. Broken URLs and missing assets shouldn’t be a show-stopper, but oversized blocks certainly are. Check file config.edn of your graph for the following entry, and experiment with its value:

:block/content-max-length 10000

There are ways to find the big blocks, but they involve specialized software (e.g. scripting), which is not easy. Also don’t bother with iPhone, until iPad’s performance is decent. There are as well ways to work on a device with a subset of the graph of another device, but again not easy to configure. It is also not worthy messing with such ways, until you find the exact cause of the problem.

Logseq generally puts inside folder pages one .md file for each non-empty page. Big blocks normally result to big pages, thus big .md files. So something you could do is to sort folder pages by file-size and get an idea of where the big blocks are. You may move the biggest files to another place (instead of deleting them), until iPhone manages to function. Then you can edit those files, until iPhone accepts them. Try also creating a new graph with the moved files only, to confirm that they are the problematic ones.

Another thing that may need external editing to prevent merging of blocks, is to begin each block with character - instead of *. Likewise, you may break big blocks by inserting new lines with - after some amount of characters. All in all, your type of problem fits well within the category of “divide and conquer”.

Even if everything goes well, still keep in mind that Logseq is not “a better Evernote”, as it has a different-enough approach, which makes the transition far from natural, but still worthy (in my opinion), for many more reasons than just the (currently problematic) syncing feature.