Understanding the query syntax

Having worked with Logseq for a few weeks now and borrowing bits and pieces of code from this forum to test its many features, I feel I am ready to try my hand at designing my own workflow inside Logseq. One thing I would need to do is write some advanced queries, for instance to collect time-tracking information, group them by task and client, total the hours and minutes for each client, move them around (for instance from current billing period to past invoices), … and a few other things I haven’t yet decided on, such as collecting and connecting the research I have done for my next book so I can start writing the first draft.
I have learned a lot from other people’s code, but what I am missing is a primer on the syntax and elements used for advanced queries. Is there a document anywhere that explains how to build up queries, what elements and functions are available and how to string all that together? I don’t like watching videos (I’m old school) but even that would be helpful, provided they take you step by step through the process, explaining the mechanics of the queries, not just the results.

2 Likes

No, there is no comprehensive documentation that I am aware of… And I share your sentiment. But current core team efforts seem to be focused on basic reliability / stability of the code and creating some kind of “paid sync system”. The Discord #queries channel folks do a good job of helping with specific questions - but it’s a very piecemeal process at this point.

2 Likes

Please give us some directions also of 3rd party doc about query advanced syntax, now it is a trial and error process !

Start at the official documentation which lists many helpful resources. Especially the Learn Datalog Today course is invaluable to get started.
https://docs.logseq.com/#/page/advanced%20queries