Use Dropbox instead of iCloud to sync iOS and MacOS

I started using Logseq about a week ago, and so far it is absolutely (digital) life-changing!
I am wholly in the Mac ecosystem, and have been using iCloud to sync my Mac, iPad, iPhone, though I use Dropbox heavily for the rest of my work. iCloud sometimes takes hours to sync, and there is no manual control to speed up the process. I can use Dropbox with my Mac’s Logseq, but it seems impossible with iOS—the Dropbox option is greyed out.
Am I missing something? Can I not use Dropbox sync with iOS?
Thank you in advance for any help,

It’s a limitation, imposed by Apple on App Store apps I believe, that limits the app to seeing only the iPhone storage and iCloud. You’ll see Obsidian’s app has the same limitation.

It would be possible for the Logseq team to code their own Dropbox sync, but they’ve (sensibly) decided to offer their own sync (again, like Obsidian). It will be able to offer features that Dropbox couldn’t, like reconciling conflicts between devices thus avoiding one device overwriting another’s changes.

It’s in beta right now and available to supporters ($5+ a month). I’ve just started using it and it seems fine so far - certainly much faster than iCloud!

Thank you for your clear and helpful explanation. It makes sense now.

I need to also sync with my Linux machines. Is there a way between iOS, Linux, and Mac to keep Logseq in sync?

The Logseq internal sync covers all platforms unless I miss something. Personally I use git to sync between platforms (requires purchasing working copy on ios though)

1 Like

For me DropBox actually showing but OneDrive is greyed out. I also have GoogleDrive but it is not showing as an option.
Do anyone have any ideas why it is working for Dropbox but not the rest?

No. I’m actually ok with Dropbox. The reason is that unlike iCloud, Cryptomator is compatible with Dropbox. So that means that even though it is a public cloud, the files are encrypted before leaving the device and unless I unlock them using Cryptomator on another device no one can access them without the password.
Why doesn’t Logseq on iPadOS allow me to select Dropbox? If it did, the solution would be perfect. Even though I can choose a variety of cloud services to sync with, the only one I see in the file picker is iCloud. Mind you, I support Logseq on OpenCollective, and tried their sync. I just don’t want to store anything like that on a server I do not have ownership of or one that I do not have encryption keys for.