What is the best way to organize the Bible and Names for connected bible study?

Hi, there! I’m relatively new to Logseq and absorbing as much as I can. I use it primarily for Bible Study, and while it was fairly easy and frictionless to get started, I’m now running into issues and unclear of how to move forward. Hoping there are some best practices this group can suggest to help me get over the current hump.

I know there are MD files I can download to import the entire Bible into Logseq. I’ve opted to manually type verses in and slowly build my database over time as I study. This has worked really well. Typing the verses helps me internalize what I’m reading a bit better.

The issue I’m running into, however, is when it comes to proper names and book names (i.e., Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Titus, Philemon, James). I also run into issues when there are multiple individuals who share the same name. So it’s possible to have a Book, Individual 1 and Individual 2 all have the same name.

At first, I tried creating aliases, but this only works if no one shares the same name. “James” is listed as the page name for the Book of James and for each person who has the name James in the Bible. Not to mention, it clutters up the graph. Aliases were a quick dead end.

I tried using the namespace feature, but this gets clunky. “Bible/New Testament/James/James 1” and “Apostle/James” and “Apostle/James son of Alpheus” becomes difficult to manage and difficult to see in graph form.

It feels like I’m overcomplicating this or overlooking something, but for the life of me, I cannot land on a more elegant solution.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Really appreciate the help!

2 Likes

Welcome GaSeminole,

I use Logseq for some aspects of Bible study, but perhaps not as intensively as you.

In my limited experience namespaces are the neatest means of imposing some structure to links. I use namespaces for books/chapters of the Bible and Bible study topics, but not names as you have.

I’m wondering whether you could simplify your processes by relying on the ‘unlinked references’ feature on pages rather than linked references? That way you let Logseq do some of the heavier lifting of finding associations between your files?

Regards, Gary

1 Like

I am going through the same process with aliases and then namespaces. What did you end up doing?

Right now I am adding " - book" for books (“Luke - Book” for the book and “Luke” for the person). Then for the versions I am making a page for each chapter (“Luke - Book/01”) and adding chapters as I go.

I started writing a script to scrape bible gateway and make the markdown files. I haven’t decided if I will use it 1 chapter or book at a time or import everything at once.

I am then using block references and child blocks on my daily journal. This seems to be working but I am struggling with when if ever I should add notes and make links in the chapter page. At first it seems fine to just square bracket words in the text but then if I rename the page it will change the link and that feels wrong.

You could use @James with a descriptive i.e James the apostle for the person and James for the book of James and if you tag the page with the book of James then it will show up in the pages tagged with section