Add ARCHIVED on tasks

hi don’t you sometimes have this task you know you won’t do in a long time, because that’s a programmed project or first you have to learn something that will take time, but you don’t want put them as a task since it WILL get messy with your tasks of the week. If you don’t tag them as a LATER task it will only get lost in the long logseq database you have. An ARCHIVED task would be better for long term activities and projects.

I tried to do this with waiting but somehow it doesn’t feel right, and it gets messy if you have some client actually waiting or else.

I don’t know if that would suit you and maybe there is even a better way.
But here is how I handle long term tasks…

I separate short-term tasks that come up every day and longer-term plans or projects.

I create TODOs in the journal and work on them as soon as possible. However, as soon as I want to enter a task that requires several individual steps, I create a separate page for this task with the naming schema task.context.project.short-description.YYYYMMDDD.

ATTENTION: I do NOT recommend the dot as a separator because it conflicts with the namespace pages. Fortunately, the separator itself is not the relevant part here.

There are 3 sections on this page for the task:

• [#C] #BACKLOG.task Short description of the task.
    • :pushpin: Info / Links
    • :brick: ToDos
    • :bookmark_tabs: Protocol

By the way, I create this basic structure with a template.

Under ToDos I then enter the individual steps for the task. If there are dependencies - as in your example - I would perhaps enter something like…

• :brick: ToDos
    • TODO learn something
    • WAITING till learning is finished
    • TODO use the new knowledge to do something

Maybe I would do without the WAITING step altogether, because the steps are worked through from the top to the bottom anyway.

What is the advantage now or how could this solve your problem? The separation prevents that all the single steps for a bigger tasks are mixed up with the small single tasks in the journal.

I organise the long-term tasks and projects quite differently.
(1) To push these topics forward, I reserve time slots in the calendar and refer to the task page in Logseq. Without reserved time slots, I would have all the tasks in Logseq - but I would find far too little time to really make progress.
(2) With the tag “BACKLOG.task” I also have a page that collects ALL tasks of this kind. In addition, I have a few queries on this page that list these tasks according to priority.

At least, this is a system that works well for me.

1 Like