Add search operator / filters for the search box

feature request for the search box:

• add logical operators AND (+), OR (|), NOT (-)
  • add filters like filename:, path:, content:, title:, type:, size:,…

Not sure where the :heart: is on this post, but I +1 this!

Could this be done using existing queries? I need to take another look at how queries work, as they seem quite powerful, but not yet super “easy to use” for less technically save people.

@mosch search and queries have different use-cases in my opinion : search is used for quick lookup (think temporary/fleeting) while queries act as dynamic blocks : their use is more permanent, you keep the block with the queries, but its content will evolve over time.

so no, even if you could use queries to retrieve the same result as a search, queries are not a suitable replacement for the search box feature.

the search-box has full-text search whereas the queries use the predefined datascript schema.

3 Likes

I agree and at the same time I would not exclude cross-usage.

Once you reach a certain number of pages or files in general (eg. a lot of files with the same word in the file name) full text search is reaching it’s limit and having additional ways to scope the search (eg. date: last year) can become helpful.

full text search is reaching it’s limit and having additional ways to scope the search (eg. date: last year) can become helpful

which is exactly why this feature request exists. Filters and operators can help to scope a search.

using advanced query as a workaround may pull the same results but in terms of ux, this is not a suitable subsitute to an advanced search box.

2 Likes

Any updates or ETA for this feature? This is a critical missing feature IMO, especially as you begin to have lots of pages in your graph.

Most of the times I just want to search for page names (vs searches of mentions across pages). Right now, there is no way to do that, and doing a search for anything other than exact page names shows too many results. What makes it harder to navigate is that page names are often not even near the top of search results, which makes it very hard to quickly switch across multiple pages through quick searches.

3 Likes

Similarly, it would be nice to be able to use wildcards or regex on in-note filters used to filter linked references.

1 Like