Graph View and Linking - Child blocks not connected to parent blocks?

Hello all,

I’m new to logseq, but most of the theory videos I’ve seen make enough sense. In fact, I tried to manually do similar tasks with mind-mapping software, but it was dreadful. I intend to use logseq as a personal knowledge management tool if possible, with potentially new insights being welcome but not expected, necessarily.

I’m not able to understand, however, the system for correctly linking items. I’m not sure where I’ve gotten a bit lost, and since I am new to these types of softwares, an example might be the most illustrative.

I’ve watched enough videos suggested by all the help pages to have been told that keeping all your ideas on a Journal each day might be a good way to start. I followed this advice, and then began filling some relationships of ideas I want to store. Below is a mock up. I decided to make each of these entries within the day’s journal as pages because these are long-term categories/groups of things I would like to explore and navigate around in a nearly-wiki like fashion.

Journal of 2022.7.27

• [[Hobbies]]
    • [[Languages]]
      • [[Spanish]]
    • [[Mathematics]]
      • [[Texts]]
        • [[Book of Proofs]]
          • [[Sets]]
          • [[Logic]]

If I click on Mathematics, it of course shows me the Linked reference, traced back to 2022.7.27 journal entry, including the sub-pages I created within the journal entry. However, clicking Graph View shows that these pages are actually orphan pages, rather than including links from each parent page to each of the nested child pages.

I’m confused why this is behaving this way. I have to manually go to [[Hobbies]] and re-type the sub-pages again in order to get them linked in the graph view? This is exceptionally inefficient. Thus, I am SURE I’m doing something incorrectly, but I cannot figure out why, because the videos I saw were fairly rudimentary or focussed only on the philosophy and concepts.

I’m happy to receive links to other explanations if they already exist. I tried to do some searching, but I think my SEO might not be great due to my lack of familiarity. I’m searching for keywords like “linking”, “orphan”, “parent”, “child”, “journal”, etc. in a variety of different combinations.

Thank you for your help! :slight_smile:

I couldn’t find any rules in the community guidelines against self-replying, but I think this would be clearer than editting the above with a follow up.

Is the correct method to avoid nesting structures within journals, and simply do the following instead, where text below bolded text is contents of the bolded block.

Journal of 2022.7.27

• [[Hobbies]]

[[Hobbies]]

• [[Languages]]
  • [[Mathematics]]

[[Mathematics]]

• [[Texts]]

[[Texts]]

• [[Book of Proofs]]

[[Book of Proofs]]

• [[Sets]]
  • [[Logic]]

The above approach DOES appear to create networks in the way I expected. Is this the correct approach for the typical workflow? Thank you for any confirmation or correction.

It seems the Logseq Beginner’s Course addresses these issues, around 3+ videos in. I’ll mark as complete. Sorry for the simple question.

Hi,

I’m wondering the same.
The workaround you show looks inelegant and inefficient, but maybe it’s the only way?
Anyone having faced the same situation and have some recommendations? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Welcome. Efficiency and even more elegance can be subjective, but I would question the very relevance of both the workaround and the intentions of the initial approach:

Inefficient and inelegant is likely true. My apologies for bastardizing the beauty aspects of data management. Thank you for the links. I will take a look at the references and try to place those information into my workflow if practical. My approach is quite haphazard to help keep my workday organized, but hopefully this will not add to the mess. :melting_face: