Hide aliases circles in Graph View

If not by default, it would be good to have an option to hide them.
It makes no sense to me showing them as different circles once they are just another way of naming the original ones.

Thanks!! :slightly_smiling_face:

+1. The graph can very quickly get cluttered if youā€™re trying to maintain a hierarchy in your notes, and are hiding the path using aliases. Like @mydogiscooler says, it would be good to have a toggle to remove empty aliases from the graph.

Illustration of problem:

7 Likes

Iā€™d also really appreciate an option to hide these empty aliases. I personally use them mostly for abbreviations for long titles to easier reference these pages in other notes (e.g. CMS) and itā€™s kind of distracting and useless to have them shown as separate pages.

6 Likes

Iā€™d like to bump this feature request.
I just donā€™t see how, for example, ā€œAlbert Einsteinā€ and ā€œEinsteinā€ would constitute two separate nodes on the graph.
As a side note, this isnā€™t the first time Iā€™ve come to this forum looking for progress on this idea, but this is the first time Iā€™ve seen this specific post.
Iā€™ve tried checking the Roadmap on the LogSeq website, but is there anywhere else that the list of planned features is being maintained?
Or is there a pause on new features while LogSeq gears up for a v1.0 release?

6 Likes

IĀ“d like to bump this request, too.
I use aliases to link many different spellings of a word to the same page. ItĀ“s just the most intuitive and fastest way. For example, if i come across the word ā€œhousesā€ i shortcut-make a page out of it and make an alias on the ā€œhouseā€ page. In other languages, like german, there can be a huge variaty of spellings, all concerning the same word: Haus, Hauses, HƤuser, HƤusern etc.

I somehow can see how each alias has to create itĀ“s own page (even though this clutters the ā€œall pagesā€ site to the point of being of no use at all). But hiding all these pass-through aliases in the graph page would be a huge improvement.

I consider it a main theme of logseq to make note taking simpler - and decluttering definitly is a huge part of simplicity. Thanks

5 Likes

+1 Please make this adjustment, as aliases are not even real pages on the Diskā€¦

Here are some more references about this - itā€™s a feautre much more needed than it may seem just based on this one threadā€¦

Looks like there was a fix, but not complete: Fix: "Page aliases are unaffected by the page property exclude-from-graph-view" by 8N9KT Ā· Pull Request #6241 Ā· logseq/logseq Ā· GitHub

5 Likes

+1 for this feature, I found that really annoying too.

5 Likes

I agree that this would make the graph view much more useable and clutter-free. The current duplicates misleads one into thinking there are connection than there actually are provide no additional benefits. I concur that we separate them only if the content of the alias pages are different.

4 Likes

+1 for this request! I love the concept of aliases, but they clutter the graph, and attempting to hide them just hides the actual page.

Perhaps a toggle on the graph view?

3 Likes

For languages with rich inflection and conjugation systems each notion can have about ten morfological variants (~5 for singular and ~5 for plural for nouns; verbs have also several possible endings when used in sentences). It seemed ok to capture these variants as aliases, until I opened up the graph view, where the alias-nodes outnumber by far the nodes which I am really interested in.
Some setting for filtering out the aliases from the graph is quite essential for such languages (e.g. latin).

4 Likes

I have noticed that the pages in graph can be link by different alias, so ā€œhideā€ the alias may be missleading, we should ā€œmergeā€ the alias.

6 Likes

This would make the graphs way more easy to use. Kindly merge the alias together in graph view

4 Likes

wanted to chime in, since I use aliases extensively, the graph gets cluttered quickly.

2 Likes

+1, every alias doubles the links in graphā€¦If I had known this before, I wouldnā€™t have used themā€¦would it be possible to at least trigger it on/off?
Thx and cheers