How do you organize the access to the content?

I don’t know how to ask this better.
I posted some days ago because I’m new to this kind of application, and I’m testing Logseq and Obsidian in paralell to see where I feel more comfortable. I would like to use logseq because OSS, but I’m not sure I’m getting the itch, and for this I ask for help.

I will not enter into plugins support (because I need basic things at all) or cute (because this can be modified by CSS). The thing is I’m not feeling natural with logseq, and, I don’t know if just is not the app for me, or I don’t use it as expected.

AFAIK, Logseq information flow grows from journal. Journaling is how you add blocks with information tagged where you want this information, and later you access this information, or from referenced links, queries, or just embeding this block in the page you want.

My issue is I’m not too much a “journalist”. I don’t write what I do everyday, “quotes”, books and so on … Maybe I want to take some notes about something, and feel more natural to me to just “go to the page of this info, and put it there”, because maybe I forgot to embed the block in the final page, and I don’t look into “references” because anyway I always “copy” to the page. And anyway, if I want to write first in the journal for fast noting and organize later or something like that, I can reference a block anyway in Obsidian too.

For example, One of my hobbies is Go game, and want to add info about some info (screenshots, sequeences, notes…) to my “Go database” to study and have it there. I know this can be done anyway with logseq, but then I feel I’m losing at all the power of blocks, and taking in consideration the main power of logseq are blocks, then makes no sense at all, right? I feel more natural to have my Go folder, with “Joseki” subfolder and notes for each joseki I add, and search them this way, or maybe on a “Master” note in Go Folder, or whathever.

On the other side, I don’t feel I “control” about the information I have. Comparing with Obsidian (just as reference because I don’t have nothing more) I have all the structure of folders/subfolders-notes/files there. It’s “easy” to find something and add/remove/modify

Well, just wanted to share to know opinions. Just I don’t know if I miss something, If I’m not thinking at should be, or is just logseq maybe is not for me at all, thanks.

• If you want to document the rules of Go:
    • don’t use the journal, rather:
      • open page Go
      • insert there a note (i.e. top-level block) named Rules
      • in that note add blocks that outline those rules to whatever depth you like
    • Alternatively, you may have a whole graph dedicated to Go, then put the rules inside page rules.
  • If you want to keep notes on your Go matches, don’t use page Go, rather:
    • open the journal at the day of the match
    • insert there a note (i.e. top-level block) named e.g. Go match
    • in that note add blocks that outline that match to whatever depth you like
  • In Logseq:
    • blocks are primarily about outlining
      • Outlining supports arbitrary hierarchical structures, just as “easily” as folders do.
      • If you have nothing to outline, you won’t get much power from Logseq.
    • journaling is encouraged, but not imposed
      • The journal is where flow begins, not where flow accumulates.
        • The multiple streams of information should begin from the journal, but the sea of knowledge is the other pages.
          • If you want to input new information, put it in the journal.
            • Journals are scratch papers.
          • If you want to store crystalized knowledge, put it in the page it belongs to.
            • This is where quality goes.

More or less understand, but then, in the future, I don’t know if I have information about Go, or not right? I mean, in Obsidian we have at left the list of folders and notes that acts as something similar to an index. In Logseq, idea is to have favorite pages working as dashboards for example?

I would say, if you organize your pages well enough through linking them, there are plenty of options available.

• Build your own index (example/ideas)
  • Use the search function to find an appropriate start place
  • Use favorite pages as entry ways.
  • Can also look in the graph view to see what pages are linked

Two other threads to maybe look at:

Will read later, thanks. One of the problem is what you wrote in other thread. Issue is I don’t know how I will store/organize my information, and maybe I overconcentrate on thath and my “future me” needs other things. Curious how works our mind. One side of me wants to use logsek for being opensource and because I like the concept of blocks, and see too much (unknown for me) potential on it. On the other side want to use Obsidian because looks pretty and looks more familiar

I’d say try and make a Go page and set that up with information. Then play with the blocks on that page to see if you can make that page function the way you’d like.
This might give some ideas of organization or structure that you may want/need.
Can then start working from there. If you start small with the information you put in and then experiment with some structure to see what you like, changing things around is not yet much of a hassle.
The advanced I’ve felt with working with Logseq is not having to duplicate information even when I want to have it in multiple places. Being able to easily drag my blocks around etc.

If you want to learn more about Logseq vs. Obsidian, there’s plenty of information out there. I’m not too familiar with Obsidian to really comment on it. I’ve used it to write my blog posts, but nothing more.
After having spend so much time in Logseq, I’ve never felt quite comfortable in Obsidian :stuck_out_tongue:

I never use THE journal for entry. Instead I have multiple journals, across my entire knowledge base. This system has worked great for me for almost ten years now.

The best way for you to find what works for you is learning about how other people do it (which you are doing) and experimenting.

It’s fun!

Just make sure you don’t fall into a rabbit hole and spend more time working on your system than actually using it (unless of course messing around with systems is what you enjoy doing!).

1 Like

Are you talking to me?! :stuck_out_tongue:
I literally have a comment in my graph somewhere about how I should stop messing with my system and actually use it :joy:
At the same time organizing things is a hobby… sooooo :smiley:

1 Like