In page search/filter

Dynalist has a in-page search feature which is very useful. You type an arbitrary string, and the entire page gets filtered by that string: every bullet containing that string and its ancestors get shown, and all else gets filtered out.

It works beautifully on dynalist, very responsive, simple, and very intuitive. As you type a substring, the page gets filtered live. Such a feature would be fantastic.

This is different from filters for note body, though related: the filters for note body is similar to the filters for linked issues, which is not an arbitrary-string filter, but a link/keyword/tag on-off filter. What I’m asking for above is an arbitrary string in-page search filter.

I’d love to have this, too. It’s such a fluid, natural and effective user experience!

To better explain the difference between the way Dynalist and Workflowy search and the way Logseq does it:

• Logseq shows a window and a temporary list of results, and you are supposed to pick one, and then the window gets dismissed. It’s a “pick one” search type.
  • Dynalist and Workflowy have a built-in search field on top, and when you write anything on it, it just filters the current view to show all matching results. And it remains that way until the search/filter is cancelled, much like the Logseq filters work. It’s a “filter all” search type.

So what we are suggesting here is not a “popup pick-one” search, but an “on page filter-all” search.

It could be combined with the filters for note body feature.

imagen

1 Like

I would like to add my request here, and this time relate it also to the way that Netmanage’s Ecco implemented this with the slang extension. After installation of the slang extension, each view has a box where you can simply type in one or more keywords, and each bullet (block in Logseq) that matches the search is filtered and shown in the view, while others are omitted. This would be an extremely useful feature.