Is it possible to make a Vault portable using a USB Stick?

Hello,

i am trying to make a portable vault on a USB Stick that I can use between multiple computers, but I am only able to use the vault on the computer that I created it with because when I try to open the vault with another computer i can look at all the files but as soon as I try to change something i get the following error:

Write to the file /mnt/vault/journal/2022_09_11.md failed, Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, chmod "/mnt/vault/journals/2022_09_11.md

Is it possible to “transfer” the permission to modify the vault on a USB Stick?
In my case I cannot use cloud services and I need the data on the USB Stick.

Thanks in advance!

hi @66666
has your plan moved forward?

I can see that even if Logseq can be run from the unarchived folder, it still installs creates 2 folders in the user folder on Win

the only way to use logseq is then to re-set the graph/vault directory when Logseq is launched. But then it leaves data on the host computer.

Solution would be to set the default config file inside the app folder on the usb stick, or inside a specified folder (as a synched folder, nextcloud for example).

I just moved to backup laptop since my primary one has a defective fan and needs replacement and, while I use Logseq “Portable” and, despite the fact that my Logseq folder is not in Program Files (on Windows) and is not installed per-se (registered with the OS at Registry level), it still writes a lot in the user’s program data folder. I noticed this right now, as I am working on my logseq from my thumbdrive, that I don’t have my plugins and the theme reverted to Logseq default.

To solve this, I plan to take the data folder from its location and replace it with a symlink (or hard link rather, I don’t remmember now which of them can’t traverse partitions) and have that folder on the thumbdrive.

But a “native” solution for a portable version is highly recommended from my pov.