[Learn log] Learning Logseq queries while managing my notes for buying our first home

Following on from the preparation and content of week 1, I copied Ramses’ structure and used the principles of a personal learning project to create my own learning log for this sprint. I will share and update this on the forum in the spirit of learning together!

My goal: Learn Logseq queries while managing my notes and planning for buying our first home.

I have been using Logseq to take notes on mortgages, house buying advice, and places to live but have found it difficult to keep things together, create effective to-do lists and compare information.

I have already experimented with some simple queries and looked at the Logseq documentation but I don’t fully understand the extent and the power of queries yet.

What I want to build with simple queries

• Dynamic index of notes on different topics related to the house buying process.

What I want to build with advanced queries

I will update this once I learn more about simple and advanced queries, but a visual timeline of tasks associated with the house buying process with links to relevant notes would be useful.

Learn Plan

What is my target performance level?

• What is good enough: To have an effective system of notetaking that allows for simple and advanced queries.
    • My end goal: To create a dynamic overview/index of the house buying process that reminds me of the most important considerations as well as the tasks left to do.

What are the subskills of this skill?

What are critical tools?

What are my learning resources?

How will I create feedback loops for myself?

• Copy examples of simple queries to get the same results.
  • Review other people’s learning logs to understand if there are other areas that I need to learn about and whether there are better ways to phrase my goal and target performance levels (refine based on new understanding of what you can do with queries).

What are my potential barriers to practice?

• Working full-time.
  • Not planning time to learn and practice.
  • UK heatwave impacting on mood and energy levels.

How much time am I going to spend learning and practicing deliberately each week?

• At least 30 minutes on weekdays when I am working full-time and at least one hour each day during the weekend.

How long will my project take?

Until July 31st, 2022.

When am I going to study or practice each day?

• On weekdays: half an hour after dinner, and before doing my regular exercises. Note: Longer on Wednesdays to catch up on the recorded lesson.
  • On weekends: 30 minutes in the morning after our walk to learn, 30 minutes in the afternoon after our walk to practice.

Notes

Will add here soon.

1 Like

Great start to your learn log. Also good that you start with a single project to apply what you learn, instead of trying to create an all-encompassing system. I recommend you keep an eye out for people on this forum that use Logseq for project management; I know there are a few.

Hm, I can’t find a setting that could limit this. You’re now at trust level 1, which should let you post as many as you like. Please send me a DM in case you keep running into the issue.

1 Like

I have now received a notification that I was upgraded to trust level 1 because I have been engaging on the forum. So I will try adding the links back in. I guess I was limited when I first posted as I only created my account today!

3 Likes

Updated Notes
I was unable to edit my original post so I am commenting with the notes I took as part of this learning sprint.

• I will need to learn how to take effective notes in Logseq first.
    • This will make it easier to use the query feature effectively.
    • Including how to use properties and tags.
    • Including what information goes to the parent and child block.
  • I did not manage to learn as planned during week 2 due to the UK heatwave so I caught up on learning during the weekend.
  • Example of how to manage projects and take notes [[Using Logseq]]
    • Logseq - How to Manage Projects with Examples + Intro to Tasks and Namespaces - YouTube
      • {{youtube-timestamp(136)}} when starting a new project, create a new page called project/nameofproject.
        • This will generate a new page for your specific project, but nested under project.
        • This is called namespaces.
      • {{youtube-timestamp(509)}} example of notes on meetings in the journal
      • {{youtube-timestamp(716)}} example of how the project namespace shows the links to nested projects under hierarchy
      • {{youtube-timestamp(775)}} example of how notes for a particular team member are recorded, showing their involvement in multiple meetings and projects as well as their tasks
  • Notes and practice on how to use simple queries (using the Logseq documentation as starting point)
    • Practice blocks
      • Hey I am tagged [[tag1]] and #tag2
      • Meh, I am only tagged [[tag2]]
      • Yay I am tagged #tag1
    • Start a query in Logseq by typing /query
    • Use an operator
      • the operator is written within parentheses
      • the parameters are written between brackets
      • There are three types of operators
        • and
          • Query for multiple conditions that must all be true
          • Example that looks for information that has both tag1 and tag2
            • {{query (and [[tag1]] [[tag2]])}}
        • or
          • Query for multiple conditions where at least one of them must be true
          • Example that looks for information that has tag1 or tag2
            • {{query (or [[tag1]] [[tag2]])}}
        • not
          • You want to exclude a certain characteristic from your results
          • Example that includes tag1 but not tag2
            • {{query (and[[tag1]] not [[tag2]])}}
      • Practice queries
        • And operator
          • {{query((and [[tag1]] [[tag2]]))}}
        • Or operator
          • {{query((or [[tag1]] [[tag2]]))}}
        • Not operator
          • {{query((and[[tag1]] (not [[tag2]])))}}
    • Use a filter
      • Applies mostly to blocks.
      • Some only apply to pages
      • There are six block filters
        • the filter is written within parantheses
        • the parameters are written behind the filter without the need of brackets
        • between
          • Only queries blocks on the journal pages
          • Four specific time indications that can be used
            • Today
            • Yesterday
            • Tomorrow
            • Now
          • You can specify days or weeks using + or - with the number written behind and d for days or w for weeks
          • Example of a query that filters notes from the past three weeks
            • {{query (between -3w today)}}
        • property
          • Queries block properties only
          • Not to be confused with page-property
          • You can query only the property or the property with its value
          • Example of querying the value book I copied the example from the Logseq documentation
        • full-text query
          • Can only be used on the desktop app for now.
          • Searches for the word that you put in as a parameter.
          • Example of searching for WikiHouse in my notes
            • {{query WikiHouse}}
        • task
          • Searches for all todo
          • Can be used to search tasks for now or later
          • Parameters correspond to your Logseq settings on the exact words using in your preferred workflow
          • Example of querying planned tasks
            • {{query todo later}}
        • priority
          • Refers to querying the value of the priority level of your tasks
        • sort-by
          • You can use this filter in combination with other filters to sort the queried results
          • There are two different formats to include as parameters
            • created-at or updated-at
            • descending or ascending
          • You need to use it in combination with an operator
          • The sort-by filter is written within parentheses within the operator parentheses
          • The format is written behind the sort-by filter within the same parantheses
          • Requires you to have enabled the block timestamps within Logseq
          • Example of querying all notes on WikiHouse sorted by when I created the notes in ascending order
            • {{query (and [[WikiHouse]] (sort-by created-at asc)) }}
            • {{query((and [[WikiHouse]] (sort-by created-at asc)) )}}
      • There are four page-only filters
        • You do not need to add a parameter but you can add a value for properties or tags
        • Page
        • page-property
        • page-tags
        • all-page-tags

Logseq Sprint Week 1 Notes

• Wednesday Talk: How to design and run personal learning projects with Logseq
    • Write notes in your Logseq daily journal.
    • Keep a learn log about what you are working on, things you are reading.
    • How to create a feedback loop if you don’t know much yet about a topic?
      • Follow someone else’s tutorial to build up your skills and use that as your baseline.
    • Short, intensive learning projects have a higher chance of success but you need to be realistic about how much time you can spend on them (which is determined by your personal schedule).
    • Your notes should be: short, simple and personal.
    • Example of notetaking with a template in question and answer format:
      • Nest notes under one central page for example “log”
      • Import template with structure:
        • Title: write what it is about
          • Question written out fully and tagged for questions (so it can be turned into a flashcard later)
            • Answer written out fully and first line tagged for answers (examples and more information nested under the first note summarising the answer).
    • Writing notes in question and answer format helps with learning because you first try to come up with the answer. So even when you fail, you still learn.
    • Use spaced repetition for learning.
      • It helps with processing information more deeply and not leaving learning up to chance.
      • When you review your notes, you should link it to something you already know to help learning.
      • It helps with internalising information.
    • Use flashcards for learning.
      • Writing good flash card questions:
        • Choose only useful questions
        • Ask only one question per flashcard
        • Treat it as a skill that needs to be reviewed and refined
    • Example of keeping a personal learning project plan
      • Create a structure based on key principles of the personal learning project.
      • Keep a log with notes of what you have learned (use a template).

Logseq Spring Week 2 Notes

• Wednesday Talk: Understanding Logseq’s outline logic and searching
    • Nine out of ten times you can use a simple query to find what you need, and you will not need to use advanced queries.
    • You can use the same query in different places.
    • Logseq is a database that continuously runs through your pages and blocks as data.
    • Boolean Logic 101 is a helpful resource to keep in mind when defining your queries.
    • Logseq uses two different query languages
      • Datalog for advanced queries
      • Simple queries
        • One function search
    • Parent block
      • Child block
    • Children blocks inherit the same properties as the parent block and should therefore show up in query searches.
      • There is currently [[24th Jul 2022]] a bug in Logseq that does not show children correctly when it is not also tagged the same as the parent block.
        • Should be fixed in next update.
    • If you want to limit your queries to a certain namespace, you will need to use advanced queries.
      • For now, Logseq is working on an update [[24th Jul 2022]] which may make it possible to use simple queries for this.
    • Page properties give different search results than regular properties.
    • Use plugins to add up data from properties rather than using queries.

Notes I took to prepare for the learning sprint

• Learning resources to become a better learner
    • The power of keeping a learning log
      • Tips on how to take good notes:
        • Prepare questions you like to see answered and keep them in mind while reading / working. It can be as simple as “What do I need to know about X?”
        • Use templates to structure your notes and be able to find information again quickly later on. This also helps with queries.
        • Write only one idea per note to help with memorising.
        • Write in your own words to ensure you have fully understood what you are writing down; this also helps with memorising.
      • Ramses Oudt: The Power of Keeping a Learn Log - YouTube
    • Deconstructing the meta skill of learning how to learn
      • There are different mediums for learning.
        • Twitter can be used to quickly and effectively revisit and share your notes, and meet like minded people.
        • Through emails and memos you can describe your problem, analyse it for possible solutions, and gather feedback.
        • When you blog it helps to reflect on what you have learned.
        • Writing guides helps with becoming intimately familiar with a topic.
        • When you take a course you dive deep into a topic in such a way that it becomes a part of you.
      • However, you need to limit the medium you learn from and find one that works best for you.
        • For example, podcasts are great if you find information on a specific topic, but they are more difficult to learn from directly. Books and articles can reduce hours of researching but you need to learn which ones are worth reading.
      • Deconstructing the Meta Skill of Learning How to Learn - YouTube
    • How to design personal learning projects
      • Learning is hard.
        • Planning helps not only with creating time to learn but also to “find the 20% of knowledge that leads to 80% of the results.”
      • There are 9 key steps to designing a personal learning project, including:
        • Choosing a project you are excited about.
        • Work on only one project at a time.
        • Set a target of the level that you want to achieve and what that looks like.
        • Avoid getting overwhelmed by breaking down the skill you are trying to learn into subskills.
          • This will help identify the 20% of foundational skills you need to focus on to achieve 80% of the results.
        • Prepare the tools and resources needed to learn.
        • Reduce your barriers to learning.
        • Make and plan in time to learn.
          • Make a commitment to set aside at least 20 hours.
          • Set a timer to ensure you spend the time you wanted to spend.
          • Determine the length of your learning project: short intense projects of between 4-12 weeks are most effective.
        • Create fast feedback loops to monitor your progress and stay motivated.
        • Prioritise quantity and speed of learning over perfection.
      • Additional resources:
      • How to Design Personal Learning Projects - YouTube
2 Likes

Hi @jenn great overview, thanks! Do you know if it’s possible to search for scheduled or deadline dates using simple queries? Perhaps these dates are exposed as pseudo-properties of the block?