Learning resources for simple queries

This post is a wiki, so feel free to add more resources.

Written materials

Videos

I think the documentation will be really useful once it has been developed. I used to be a secondary school computing teacher and now I train adults in how to use education MIS software including our reporting tools, which is analogous to simple and advanced queries.

There are examples on the current documentation and that is useful, but it is not sequenced in a step by step way and it would be useful to have scenarios and practical explained examples so people can see why they would use particular logseq queries.

My approach to teaching teenagers Python back in the day was like this.

1. Explain a simple process. Eg what is a tag query and why it is useful
  2. Show and explain a simple example
  3. Students copy the example and get it to work. COPY
  4. Students make changes to the example. Eg. Choose different tags ADAPT
  5. Students make their own simple examples from scratch CREATE
  6. Students build on these simple examples by integrating what they know for their own projects, and extending INTEGRATE and EXTEND

Broadly, this way of learning fits in with Bloom’s taxonomy. I suppose the main difference is a learner working their way through a set of resources independently has to be their own teacher.

The challenge Logseq has in terms of educating its community reminds me of my own company’s process in curating all the information available in a way that is useful and meaningful to everyone who needs to learn a complex system. Our onboarding journey has certain similarities:

• Learning on the internet is different to learning face to face
  • Everyone arrives with different wishes, needs, motivations and abilities
  • The product is changing all the time
5 Likes