Logseq Logo Community Contest: Submission Thread

This is a neuron, symbolizing connectivity and creativity, with echos of the current logo.

FWIW here’s another version: logo-neuron2

3 Likes

I want to add another entry to the already great suggestions. Great Idea for a Contest like this - and certainly many great contenders.

My thougts behind my try are:

• Very simplistic: you got to be able to see - and recognize it - as a very small icon
  • self explanatory: The logo tells the story. In my case - this is my second brain
  • tribute to the old paw: using the traditional color scheme. altough i realize now that for the dark version the dark blue might be a bit too dark. so take this suggestions as an idea rather than the final version. adjustments can easily be made if wanted

With this logo, logseq wouldn´t just be another second brain app - it would be THE second brain app.

Hope you like my thinking. I am still not sure for where my votes is going, so many great ones…

4 Likes

Hello Everybody,

Day by day, this competition is becoming more exciting and interesting to see the creative designers all over the globe. Everybody’s putting their best effort into designing Logseq’s new identity.

As Ben well said, the Logseq community internally discusses the emoji of the log they usually use to refer to the Logseq on social media platforms.

So here I tried to explore the log idea to design a meaningful, bold icon, though it is difficult but not impossible. I used three logs to make the abstract shape of the initial ‘L," which also gives a touch of the Logseq working process, which is saving data in different sectors.

I will be thrilled if the logseq community and internal staff make some comments about my effort. I hope everybody will appreciate my creation and the thoughts behind the design. Thank you

12 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m posting a comment here because I received an invitation from Jakob Tengler on My Figma work. It’s nice to see that someone has quoted my work. As a long-time Logseq user, I created this logo in January 2021, and here I would like to add and share some personal opinions:

For me, the two impressive elements of Logseq that are are:

• Almost full platform support (e.g. iOS, Android, Webapp) + Local storage+ Open file format
  • Outline + Block-level bi-direction link

The former is represented by the famous OBSIDIAN and and the niche Anytype, while the latter is represented by RoamResearch, Remnote and Tana.However, only Logseq and Siyuan Note currently combine both features (although Siyuan Note’s file format is not Markdown).

In my opinion (2021 to date), the reason why Logseq has become the main note-taking tool for users in the PKM application market is mainly due to its ability to combine both these features effectively.

Design concept

Inspired by existing application icons and names, the word Log was extracted from “Logseq” as the core figurative element, and the circle was extracted from the paw,summarized as a minimalist dot, Then, it was repeated and expanded into multiple dots, arranged and combined into the shape of the initial letter “L” of Logseq as a metaphor for logs and sequences.

The core features of this logo are:

• Everything is a node/block. A simple dot is a highly abstracted representation of a cross-section of a log, an eye, a paw print, a stone, a block, a grain of sand and other figurative things, as well as the minimal elements that make up a complex ecology. They also serves as a symbol of imprinting (such as the annual rings of logs, pupils, paw prints of animals, human handprints, footprints on the beach, reefs on the sea…) and as building blocks for query function.

• Dots can be connected and aggregated with each other, signifying the openness, sharing and collaboration of knowledge. By combining dots into the form of the letter “L”, representing Log + Link + Local + Lock security , the brand attributes are also enhanced; the triangular composition implies stability and gives a sense of intuitive security, signifying privacy and safety.

• A node is like a branch of a log, which is growable/extensible. Deriving from a single dot to unlimited dots, just like knowledge, is the process of accumulating less to become more and gathering sand to become a tower; the movement of light dots alludes to the connection between dots, and the circular animation is like the eye seeking, querying and exploring the world of Logseq.

The loop animation evolved from the logo can be used as the loading screen:
logo-Logseq-loop animation

Logseq Brading Fonts Design

Standard Monochrome Graphic Of The Logo:

AppIcon on mockup:

Derived version:

17 Likes

After “screaming Logseq” with a detailed literal representation (where I explain my take on Logseq, so I won’t repeat that info again), here is a :wood:-metaphor approach with bold lines and shapes, that combines the natural with the abstract. Not being a designer, I didn’t manage to do justice to the concept, but at least I was able to express it.

log

This is the log of a sycamore (or seekformore) tree. If you look carefully, you can find:

• a brain root-foundation (this is optional)
    • shadow-like, flexible, chaotic
  • a stump core
    • old, wise, structured, firm, stable
  • a magnifying-glass top
    • radar-like and target-like for discoveries
  • Logseq’s bullet point
    • the perfect approach to knowledge management
  • a squirrel (this is optional)
    • logical, scriptable, uncatchable
    • it could be used as an abstract maskot apart from the logo
  • two eyes
    • “When you stare into your notes, your notes stare back at you.”
    • “Your notes outline you.”
  • a little story about connection, hope, regeneration, life, love (this is optional)
    • A squirrel visits a tree where used to be a nest built with love, but (thanks to Logseq) can look into the future for new life with all the memories intact.
  • relevant letters (carefully hidden)
    • L, o, g, S, e, Q, λ (lambda), σ (sigma), ς (stigma)
  • the ideas of many others in this thread (won’t re-explain them)
    • the power of the community
  • Logseq
    • “Give new life to your notes.”
    • “Where your notes live.”
    • “A note-taker to fall in love with.”

A tree is a special being. Not because of its shape, but because of its function:

• Its roots spread into the soil, to gather nutrients from all over the earth of information.
  • The kept notes make it grow branches towards the light of truth.
  • Leaves come out of the log to catch the truth and produce the oxygen of knowledge, supporting all other forms of life.
  • When the time comes, buds and flowers and fruits come out, to both feed and procreate.

Here is a version without the optional elements:

5 Likes

Hey there folks! I’m a relatively new Logseq user, but I figured I’d toss my hat in the ring.

I’m a front-end dev by trade, so graphic work isn’t necessarily my forté, but I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to contribute back to what seems to be an incredible community of great people.

Iconography needs to be simplistic, memorable, and pack a whole lot of meaning into a concise, multiplatform package. Logseq’s values encompass a wide variety of really important perspectives, and I wanted to create something representative of the key values that attracted me to the community.

The three primary components of my concept are as follows:

• The magnifying glass: representing Logseq’s robust data management and search
  • The drip: representing how ideas flow from each other
  • The keyhole: representing a secure, safe place for the information in your life

Reduced version

Alternate colors

Congrats on so many great submissions! I’m looking forward to voting for my favourites.

8 Likes

This is far and away the best one yet. I’d be happy to just use this one as it is now. Some of the others have some great ideas, but none of them feel ready-to-go in the way that this one does.

2 Likes

Great initial idea (brain maze made regular…), but a bit scarying and too masculine face.

2 Likes

Very goodlooking but a bit too childish to reflect the power of Logseq to be, yes, funny and creative BUT ALSO reliable and chaos-solving!

1 Like

One in the top 5 of course, but a bit too cold, makes me think about a technical-only stuff. Yet Logseq is pure pleasure: since it makes fireworked brains like mine able to deliver results without being forced to throw complexity to the bin to manage so!

1 Like

Just trying out something for this waah.

Main Logo Design

Banner Design

This logo is derived from the words ‘logging’ and ‘seeking’ as my interpretation of the origin of Logseq name. For me, it’s a combination of consumption and creation, of research and writing and of course the main identity of Logseq itself as ‘log’. The leaf represents the pen for writing and also inspires the idea of seeking something to log new ideas. The reason behind the leaf being in the middle is because the tree ring in the middle are considered the first year of growth of a tree. It symbolize the growth of the Logseq community. The additional rings signifies the continuous growth of the company and also its users by consistently logging and seeking.

3 Likes

Hi everyone!

It’s great seeing all of the logo designs, many different and creative directions!

Here’s my proposal:

Twitter: @Robert_Bloom

4 Likes

Hi all,

It gives me a lot of joy to make my first post on this site, which is to share my original logo design for Logseq. This is my quick design of the logo. My concept combines three different elements: fractals, fingerprints, and hexagons. Each of these parts was picked for what it means and how it relates to taking notes.

Fractal, which are abstract idea that show a pattern that keeps changing and spreading out, are like the process of taking notes and learning new things. As we learn more about a subject, we build on what we already know, making a tree of knowledge with more and more branches, just like a fractal.

Each user of our app has a unique identity, which is represented by the Fingerprint. As no two fingerprints are the same, each person’s way of taking notes and absorbing information is also unique to them. This makes learning and growing a more personal experience.

Now, let’s move on to Hexagon! Hexagon is the bestagon. This six-sided shape, which is known for being strong and efficient, is a playful nod to the hilarious movie at [Hexagons are the Bestagons - YouTube]. The hexagon in our logo looks like the way honeybees use this shape, which is a good way to show how organized, efficient note-taking can be. And keep in mind that if hexagons are “buzz-worthy” for our flying friends, they are definitely “buzz-worthy” for our note-taking!

In short, the logo represents a constantly changing fractal of information, shows how unique each of us is like a fingerprint, and promotes good organization like a hexagon. I hope this design meets the goals of our note-taking app and the standards of its users.

I found out about this contest too late, so all I could think of was the idea, while i’m still not satisfied with the visual.

Thank you for taking my idea into account, and I can’t wait to hear what you think!

Designer_C1oNCQYFW0

3 Likes

Thank you for your support! I also enjoyed the ideas shared by others.

1 Like

Share another idea:

The Brain of Log Growth-ring

inspired by :wood: + :cyclone: + :brain:

and more ideas on the way…

12 Likes

Graph elements as an uppercase Q

Cutout

Android

Apple

Design notes

• Colors
    • Upper left quadrant pays homage to existing application and logo (solarized dark)
    • Palette swappable and gradient friendly
  • Shapes
    • Basic shapes form an empty canvas/framework (Google-doodle-able)
    • Relational line emulates “capsule” shape found throughout submission template
  • Letter Q
    • Resembles a node and edge
    • Rarest letter in the application name
    • Q as in Qin

Values

• Intuitive Knowledge Management
    • Information organization: highlighting the graph database structure
    • Smooth: rounded edges and gradient colors
    • Fast as lightning: the shortest distance between two XXXXXs is a straight XXXX. Logo suggests a point and line in the process of connection, as a freeze-frame capture.
  • Collaborative & Open
    • Edge represents an outward-reaching propensity
    • Line direction (down and to the right) suggests reading. Apologies to those whose script is right-to-left and/or vertical
  • Privacy & Security
    • Visible background space forms a keyhole, suggesting privacy and security as a baseline.
  • Accessible & Extensible
    • Keyhole doubles as an input notch for expansion
    • Shelf_Adjust_250x250
    • Industrial strength storage
    • Snap in, no tools needed for assembly by end user
    • Deviation from plug/outlet, puzzle, or lego brick motifs
  • Empowering Creativity & Problem Solving
    • Self evident through submission and all community participation
    • These notes were outlined as a Logseq page
2 Likes

Alright - after 5 weeks and over 100 submissions, we will be officially closing the submissions thread! A huge thank you to everyone who participated, who decided their time and creative energy to out project :slight_smile:

I’ll leave the thread comments open this weekend, but will launch a voting thread on Monday with our teams top picks. At that time, we will close comments on this thread.

And if you’re just skating in after the deadline, you can still try posting late submissions :wink:

Again, thank you, thank you, and thank you! There is a bunch of amazing artistist talent displayed in this thread

3 Likes

Hi, I’m a long time lurker and user of logseq. I drew a sketch of one of my ideas in a paper as I don’t have skills of any vector design software. I tried using inkscape but I couldn’t draw certain objects. Hope you’ll consider this idea as an amateur design and improve on it as you wish.

The concept is very simple:
which major problem in note-taking does logseq solve?
In my opinion it’s connecting the information. This design illustrates two different shapes connected with each other representing the ability of logseq to connect any kind of information.

1 Like

It seems too late to submit, but I still want to share a few lastest concept designs based on :wood: Logs

The original wood

As a figurative expression of Logseq, I believe that the imagery of logs is the closest and most suitable choice for the application icon, which itself is a metaphor for logs as a logging tool for writing, creation and the origin of civilization, and the construction of all human knowledge. The ignition of fire, the use of wood axes, the creation of pencils, furniture, and even the birth of books are all closely related to logs. By using logs as the application icon, there is no need to specifically capture any letter from the application name “Logseq.” The growth rings on the log’s cross-section symbolize the best expression of “logging” and “sequences.”

Many trees form a forest. The collective presence of logs, branches, and even leaves represents the optimal metaphor for tree structures, outlines, connections, collaboration, and growth, with its meaning self-evident.

Branch of the Log

Merging the master and branches of the log into an L shape, represents connection, collaboration and growth。In this concept, the branches are actually also a connetion.

where the figurative version provides more details, such as the log’s annual rings and cracks look similar to the letter Q/magnifying glass, representing the concept of query; the keyhole on the log’s branches metaphorically represents a security lock.

The Return of Notepen

Logseq is a note-taking application, but its icon resembles a paw print, which makes it difficult for the general public to recognize. If we want to make it more popular, visually, shouldn’t it be more intuitive and convey sincerity to those who are unfamiliar with it?

Therefore, this concept first represents a pen, and then incorporates elements of logs, leaves, growth rings, searchability, and the brand letter ‘L’. Your thinking tool should naturally embody these aspects.

6 Likes

Hi there! :wave:

I’d like to share my last-minute logo idea with you. It features a friendly and confident face and creative use of white space.

I hope you like it! :upside_down_face:

Fullsize image

7 Likes