Nested page titles and brackets

If I create a page called [[[[topic]] one]] everything works as expected (besides the “Show brackets” preference which is not respected for [[topic]] and the related tag issue linked below) but when I try to create something like [[[[topic]] [[one]]]] then the page created is topic]] [[one.

In the “All pages” section I see both topic]] [[one and [[[[topic]] [[one]]]] but if I click on them, both link to the “broken” topic]] [[one.

This is probably related to this issue: Can't create a tag with nested page links where you can’t use page titles like [[[[topic]] one]] as a tag. (#[[[[topic]] one]]).

I moved from Roam where I used a lot of “nested” page titles that way, which worked perfectly… Hoping I don’t have to change my whole system around this feature! :sweat_smile:

Thanks!

Sad to see no replies here. Also coming from Roam (well I was attempting to) and found large issues with pages with nested titles not being imported at all.

Did you end up moving to logseq? If so how did you deal with this issue?

Unfortunately, I did have to slowly move away from multiple nested page titles. I didn’t used them for tags, so it was manageable. If you use only one nested page title, it works well enough.

I don’t know how much work it would entail to support this, so I’m cool if they don’t so it, but it is a bit of a bummer to not get any response at all, even to let us know they’re not planning to implement it :man_shrugging:

When I import from Roam I’m finding that only the top level page is created. The nested pages come up if you click on references to them and it shows all the references, but the actual page content is missing.
I go 2 -3 levels deep with nested pages in my Roam graph. It’s core to how I organized my data. Maybe even 4 once or twice.

I found my issue was due to using the pipe character as a separator. I replaced all the pipes and it worked.

Hi,

I’m having the same issue, also importing from Roam.

@turbo2ltr Can you please precise this? The example from @Yann above reproduces the issue, although it does not contain any pipe.

Thanks a lot,

Yeah, I found for my issue it has to do with characters that can be used in a valid filename. Apparently the import is not checking the page title before trying to create the files. When you create a new page, there is some conversion that encodes special characters into the filename so a page [[[[Topic]] | subtopic]] is converted to a filename [[Topic]] %7C subtopic.md. But the import doesn’t do this, it just tries to save the file the same name as the title, including the pipe, so all the pages with illegal filename characters just don’t get saved.

1 Like

Thanks for the precision. If I understand well this is not directly related to the original topic of this thread, which is about nested page titles. Your comment is instead related to another issue about special characters in filenames. Am I correct?

Yes, I’m trying to remember why I posted here. I think I thought the reason the pages weren’t being imported were because they were nested so I assumed this topic of not being able to nest pages was the cause, but it turns out that all my nested titles had pipes. I don’t currently have issues with nested pages. I use them every day.

1 Like

Interesting, actually I take the occasion to ask you two questions then:

1. About nested pages: do you mean that you don’t experience the issue mentioned by @Yann in his original post? If so, did you do anything special to solve it? I’m asking because I have the exact same issue than him (with the last version of Logseq) and cannot find a way to solve it.

2. About special characters in filenames. I also have issues when importing from roam. It seems that about half of my pages are not imported, but I can’t find any log that lists those missing files. Do you know if they are listed somewhere? Otherwise I could rename page titles in roam before the import, but I don’t see how I could do that from the roam interface, do you? (Doing the string replacement directly in the exported json could be an option, but seems far from trivial to implement).

Sorry for bombarding with questions, migrating from roam to logseq is far more complicated than I thought and I don’t find much information about my issues.

Thanks a lot,

No worries.
I don’t use it in the way that user is talking about. I nest them for the hierarchy.
[[[[Topic]] | subtopic]]
[[[[[[Topic]] | subtopic]] sub-sub topic]]
I’ve never tried to do [[[[topic 1]] [[topic 2]]]]

I did not find a log of any sort. I painstakingly edited all roam export files and made sure the file count in logseq matched. (At least that’s what I think I did) It wasn’t fun by any means. I replaced the pipe with an exclamation point in all the names and refences. I only had about 80 non-journal files so renaming wasn’t terrible. But yeah if you have more then it would not be fun.

1 Like