Sort linked references

It would be super helpful to be able to sort linked references in chronological order - with the most recent linked references on the top.

Example: On a page, “Apple”, when I look at linked references, it would be great to see all the times I tagged [[Apple]] beginning with the time I most recently tagged [[Apple]].

If this is already a thing and I am silly, please let me know. I am coming from Roam where this happened automatically.

Do you mean chronological or reverse-chronological? By default, Logseq shows references in reverse-chronological (most recent first).

I agree that it would be very helpful to have the option to reverse this into true chronological order when required, especially to follow thoughts as they occurred in time.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it does not show linked references reverse-chronological (most recent first) unless the tag was made on the daily journal page.

That’s what I want it to do (I honestly don’t care if it’s reverse chronological or chronological, as long as it’s not thrown in a seemingly random order)

I wish it showed the most recent tag first regardless of what page/block the tag was added to.

1 Like

Right. I see what you mean. I was just looking at journal entries.

I’m shocked that there’s no logic to the order of references to pages. That seems like a big oversight.

2 Likes

Upvoting! It’s a pain to have to filter to find what I’m looking for.

upvoting. this is really a pain point

Logseq doesn’t store block timestamps and creation data which is the source of this issue.

+1 I need to see my results in the same order I’ve captured them in the Linked References and not the other way around. I can’t make sense of results displayed in this manner.

Hope my reply on GitHub is somewhat helpful on explaining why timestamp is missing: “Created At” date updating after Re-Index · Issue #8556 · logseq/logseq · GitHub

1 Like

Personally, I would prefer alphabetical, but as @seanstews said: I’d settle for anything other than “seemingly random”!

1 Like

+1. Alphabetical would be great, e.g. for bibliographies

1 Like

+1 Also would prefer alphabetical - but multiple sorting options would be great!

1 Like

The ideal scenario would be to get a page property !! This way we can decide for each page which sort order will be used for the linked reference.
For an on-going project sort by newest to oldest would make sense, whereas for a completed project, oldest to newest would make sense.
I would LOVE to sort from oldest to newest for my monthly pages :slight_smile:
As of today, to keep track of what was important for each day , I tag on the journal page with the month page and got all my memories in the linked references section of the monthly page … in reverse order.

2 Likes

It looks like this is how the filters work currently - if I filter the linked references by clicking the filter button, including TEST1 and excluding TEST2, it will add an invisible line to the top of the file that reads:

filters:: {"TEST1" true, "TEST2" false}

I think it would be [reasonable][1] to use a similar mechanism to add something like:

sort:: alphabetical

or even combined:

filters:: {"TEST1" true, "TEST2" false}, alphabetical

[1]: Disclaimer: I don’t know how things work under the hood, these are just (only-slightly) educated guesses.

Would love to see it, if only to have the order of linked references stable. I don’t understand how it currently works, for example I have a temporary tag, that after a review on its page’s linked references I might remove from a given block. When I do that all of the references are seemingly randomly reordered. Even more interestingly when I navigate through the page using vim plugin’s Shift + J/K the same happens after each key press (it doesn’t happen when navigating w/o shift). Maybe something is messed up in my config, but nonetheless sorting would be very welcome.