Sort linked references

It would be super helpful to be able to sort linked references in chronological order - with the most recent linked references on the top.

Example: On a page, “Apple”, when I look at linked references, it would be great to see all the times I tagged [[Apple]] beginning with the time I most recently tagged [[Apple]].

If this is already a thing and I am silly, please let me know. I am coming from Roam where this happened automatically.

Do you mean chronological or reverse-chronological? By default, Logseq shows references in reverse-chronological (most recent first).

I agree that it would be very helpful to have the option to reverse this into true chronological order when required, especially to follow thoughts as they occurred in time.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it does not show linked references reverse-chronological (most recent first) unless the tag was made on the daily journal page.

That’s what I want it to do (I honestly don’t care if it’s reverse chronological or chronological, as long as it’s not thrown in a seemingly random order)

I wish it showed the most recent tag first regardless of what page/block the tag was added to.

1 Like

Right. I see what you mean. I was just looking at journal entries.

I’m shocked that there’s no logic to the order of references to pages. That seems like a big oversight.

2 Likes

Upvoting! It’s a pain to have to filter to find what I’m looking for.

upvoting. this is really a pain point

Logseq doesn’t store block timestamps and creation data which is the source of this issue.

+1 I need to see my results in the same order I’ve captured them in the Linked References and not the other way around. I can’t make sense of results displayed in this manner.

Hope my reply on GitHub is somewhat helpful on explaining why timestamp is missing: “Created At” date updating after Re-Index · Issue #8556 · logseq/logseq · GitHub

1 Like

Personally, I would prefer alphabetical, but as @seanstews said: I’d settle for anything other than “seemingly random”!

1 Like

+1. Alphabetical would be great, e.g. for bibliographies

1 Like

+1 Also would prefer alphabetical - but multiple sorting options would be great!

1 Like

The ideal scenario would be to get a page property !! This way we can decide for each page which sort order will be used for the linked reference.
For an on-going project sort by newest to oldest would make sense, whereas for a completed project, oldest to newest would make sense.
I would LOVE to sort from oldest to newest for my monthly pages :slight_smile:
As of today, to keep track of what was important for each day , I tag on the journal page with the month page and got all my memories in the linked references section of the monthly page … in reverse order.

2 Likes

It looks like this is how the filters work currently - if I filter the linked references by clicking the filter button, including TEST1 and excluding TEST2, it will add an invisible line to the top of the file that reads:

filters:: {"TEST1" true, "TEST2" false}

I think it would be [reasonable][1] to use a similar mechanism to add something like:

sort:: alphabetical

or even combined:

filters:: {"TEST1" true, "TEST2" false}, alphabetical

[1]: Disclaimer: I don’t know how things work under the hood, these are just (only-slightly) educated guesses.

Would love to see it, if only to have the order of linked references stable. I don’t understand how it currently works, for example I have a temporary tag, that after a review on its page’s linked references I might remove from a given block. When I do that all of the references are seemingly randomly reordered. Even more interestingly when I navigate through the page using vim plugin’s Shift + J/K the same happens after each key press (it doesn’t happen when navigating w/o shift). Maybe something is messed up in my config, but nonetheless sorting would be very welcome.

1 Like

I want to +1 this; in my experience linked references are displayed in a mostly-deterministic but nonsensical order. For example I have page A that’s tagged several times through a (very long) page B. When I view page A’s linked references, it correctly shows all references within page B, but in an order that does not correspond to the order the links appear in page B, nor does it correspond to the order in which the linked blocks were created/updated in page B (not that create/update timestamps are stored on a per-block level anyway). I’m unsure what information Logseq is keying off of that causes the order to be jumbled in the way it is, but it makes the linked references section not useful to me in this particular case.

EDIT: Related issue: Linked References jump around and change order by themselves, when editing them, after editing them... · Issue #10854 · logseq/logseq · GitHub