Haven’t used Dendron, but they, you and me came to the same conclusion (and who knows how many others). I also thought about ‘committing’ one of your virtual hierarchies to the file system.
We should perhaps create a new Feature-Request specifically for Virtual Hierarchies. Possibly highlighting the optionality of it, some people really seem to dislike folders, both there are many that do like them.
So allowing it to be a separate and optional feature may be an optimal solution for everyone.
At the end, it seems really simple:
- Toggle in the settings to switch “Virtual Hierarchies” on and off
- Dedicated side bar section (like Flashcards, or All Pages, Graphview…)
- Opening the section you could see a Finder-like window with your virtual folders, files and pages together
- Possibility to put together PDFs, images and pages in related folders
- Common operations like drag-n-drop files into folders (important for quickness of workflow)
- Commit a Virtual Hierarchy to “Hard” real File System Hierarchy
This is just a scratch, a quick outline of a rather simple feature as it seems (simple may not be equal to easiness of implementation).
What do you think about creating a dedicated Feature-Request? People could vote and give their insights on it.
Something interesting to note is that:
By adding this optional Virtual Hierarchies feature, the Namespace feature remains untouched, it will work as it works now, no need to mix them somehow, or change how they work just because of the Virtual Hierarchies.