Using namespaces & "unlinked references" should work better

Hi, i am using namespaces quite a bit, since it allows me to get an overview and navigate items of a certain “type”: e.g. location/Paris/Eiffel Tower.
I very much prefer adding a page as location/... to using a page property (e.g. page-type:: location) because i can easily browse all sights in Paris and elsewhere just using the built-in namespace navigation.

The problem is that currently Logseq’s “Unlinked References”-section only returns results for the exact page name, mentioning Eiffel Tower is not enough, it must be the full page name location/Paris/Eiffel Tower.

Feature request: Make unlinked references search both the full page name and the last part of the page name.

Thanks!

You cannot use aliases?

Sure! But then i would have to manually add an alias to every page… Logseq should take care of that.

But thanks for the comment, i think the feature could be called “automatic aliases for namespaces”.

An automatic alias would be dangerous. If it happened to have more than one page ending with Eiffel Tower (e.g. exhibition/painting/Eiffel Tower), the alias could point to only one of them. While unlinked references in both pages could list all mentions of Eiffel Tower and let the user decide if they are relevant or not.

OK, good point. I do not propose to modify the files (auto-adding the alias).

True. But - all versions of Eiffel Tower could be mentioned in the unlinked References section, with an indicator showing if it is in a different, the same, or no namespace, and a respective filter option ?

This would help to see (yet unlinked) links across namespaces.

1 Like

I just found out about this and wanted to bump this up again. This can´t seem to be right. If namespaces/nested tags are not shown under unlinked references, this seems to make them unusable. I hope that I am just using them wrong.

If Eiffel Tower isn´t shown on the page, like in this example, than all the many benefits of a second brain are lost…

Unless you mistyped something, I totally disagree. A second brain has nothing to do with unlinked references, neither with namespaces. Unlinked references are just a quick search, and namespaces are just for disambiguation (or for some old-fashioned users just for grouping). Both the first and the second brain are all about linked references. It would be nice if our tools had more consistent features, but should not miss what job each tool is for.

How do you use them?

Thanks for your answer @mentaloid
I just recently tried namespaces for the first time in a desperate attempt to group tags/sites.
I guess it is my way of taking notes that makes grouping necessary. I copy and paste book quotes or type them manually in my logseq graph. Then I link certain key-words in this passage. I find tags disturbing and hide brackets. The problem is then of course, that i link many words with similar meaning - in german for example their are many possible words for car. But i found out that namespaces are not right for grouping tags/sites.

Also aliasses don´t work well for that purpose. I guess for logseq there is only one good way to avoid chaos and that is manually using tags instead of linking every word under the sun :slight_smile:
Only this way one can avoid having 20 different pages all concerning the same theme.

But i have to disagre on unlinked references. I really use and enjoy them. This takes away the pressure of tagging and linking everything while typing it in. Often times, later in the life of your graph your interessets might differ and you start using new pages. Then it is of great vallue to have logseq scan your graph and show the blocks that use that theme.

And of course you would have tipped in Eiffel Tower at the time and not Paris/Eiffel Tower.

It is fine to enjoy a feature and to want it improved. Just don’t claim that missing this feature destroys knowledge management.

In my opinion, quotes’ text should be left untouched, thus explicitly tagged with keywords of choice. For example, could tag with the single keyword #car all of the following quotes:

- "They go there by car."
- "They used their automobiles."
- "They drοve there."
- "They rolled there."

Accordingly, the graph will have only a page car, not having pages for automobile, drove, rolled etc. Please realize that, even if you tried the unlinked references in page drive or roll, you wouldn’t find the words drove and rolled. In other words, you don’t link words, you link concepts. Concepts come in so many forms, that no scanning can find them all for you.

The improvements should be realised as extended a plugin. If an equivalent query exists to replace ‘Unlinked References’ and can be placed in the page and work, this could be achieved. The plugin would automatically insert the query when any individual page is opened. Yet another idea would be to put a query that searches for pages with common a word. Queries need to be placed in markdown content. It would clutter up the markdown, but if tagged, it could be removed from the plugin in one go. There must be people who want this.