UX Improvement: Toggle Right Wide?

Don’t you guys feel that the right sidebar should receive some love on the UX front? Besides Functional aspects like User-Defined Right Sidebar Tabs and so on one aspect that I feel it’s lacking is a way to maximize it without using the mouse.

The way I see it, the Toggle Wide should get some more functionality like so: If you have the left sidebar on screen, a Toggle Right should show the right sidebar like it does now. But if you type T R W it should collapse the Left Sidebar automatically and you should have on screen, side-by side, a half-split between your center pane (main area) and the right sidebar. T R W again and the Right Sidebar goes to the default (narrow) stance. T R and it goes away.

In the same way, T R F (Full) would make the Right Sidebar 75% of the screen real estate, leaving the Main area 25% and the Left Sidebar Hidden. If one does T L, then the Rifht Sidebar will go to the default width (25%).

Here’s a Visual of what I mean:

I am also contemplating on having a very narrow right sidebar collapsed state (toggled from settings, edn) that shows vertically the right sidebar tabs’ icons or vertical text like some other apps use.

I would love this. I find myself having to resize the right pane all the time. Sometimes I start from the main space but have to check something on the right. If it’s a page, I might want to engage with it’s page references scrolling below so again I have to resize the panel. I would like to be able to switch quickly back and forth.

I rarely use the left panel, though. Yes, it’s useful sometimes for the favorites but I’ll rather ctr+k than have to toggle it on if it’s not.

I have implemented it in custom.js but it’s a rabbit hole if it’s not implemented at core level. It breaks some things then I “patch” those, etc.

PS: I have likely modified it from that initial code, but that worked for me for a long time.

1 Like

I remember that thread and your persistence is unmatched, my friend :slightly_smiling_face: