Introduce Kanban boards as a new primitive

Roam has a Kanban feature, which is lacking from LogSeq. Since LogSeq has a task management bent, it would make sense to include a Kanban feature as well.

A nice-to-have would be to automatically resolve any Kanban boards from Roam when you do an import.

Hello, and welcome to the Discourse!

Thank you very much for posting this feature request. I think this would be a great addition. I only recently starting using Kanban boards and think these are a great way of splitting tasks between To Do, Doing, Waiting for Others, etc.

Hopefully this will be added to Logseq soon

3 Likes

while waiting for a proper implementation, this css mod can display cildren bullets as columns :

5 Likes

I also vote for this! Workflowy also has a nice implementation of it, from which you guys can borrow some ideas.

Kanban - workflowy

3 Likes

Kanban boards are great but since there are lots of ways they could be implemented Iā€™m thinking this might be better suited as a plugin.

This request which deals with defining workflow stages seems like a good building block for Kanban boards.

1 Like

fully agree :sunny:
trello is incredibly useful for a lot of things - though I think kanbanflow might even a better example

This is the only feature that is stopping me from using LogSeq as my primary productivity / knowledge aggregation tool.

Definitely. Thatā€™s also one of the main reasons Iā€™m still running my productivity system in Workflowy.

Hi all, for those looking for a Kanban implementation, you can check out a plugin Iā€™ve created for this purpose.

demo

You can load it manually (GitHub - hkgnp/logseq-kanban-plugin) or wait till itā€™s in the marketplace.

Cheers!

8 Likes

Do you plan to support it and develop to add additional features or just fix bugs?
With the custom board the rendering of TODO and DONE would be great option (with done items moving to the bottom) but I understand that there are always time and effort limitations for open source development

Hi! It has actually been implemented in the latest release that you can install from the marketplace :slight_smile:demo2

Just start with a block called ā€œTASKSā€ or ā€œTasksā€ or ā€œtasksā€, and start adding in your TODO items as child blocks. No further separating of headings required. You can refer to the gif above.

3 Likes

Yes! I am using that for my daily note :slight_smile:

What I am asking is to have custom kanban rendered this way

custom Kanban board
[ ] a card with TO DO  rendered as tick
[x] Ģ¶SĢ¶tĢ¶rĢ¶iĢ¶kĢ¶eĢ¶tĢ¶hĢ¶rĢ¶oĢ¶uĢ¶gĢ¶hĢ¶ Ģ¶tĢ¶eĢ¶xĢ¶tĢ¶ Ģ¶wĢ¶iĢ¶tĢ¶hĢ¶ Ģ¶DĢ¶OĢ¶NĢ¶EĢ¶

I know there are limitations of the framework you are using, so it may be not possible to implement

Thank you again for making the plugin, it really improved my workflow!

Hi and thanks for the plugin.
Do you plan to be able to move the cards between the columns?

Like it so far - but it is a ā€œview onlyā€ - correct?

1 Like

Yup it is view only. You can move it around in the blocks itself.

I am not able to implement drag and drop because it involves moving blocks around which is not allowed by the Logseq plugin API.

1 Like

Oh you mean having the checkboxes on the Kanban board itself?

Yes, but in the light of what you wrote in the GitHub issue it may be not possible to render it with the framework you are using

May I suggest that custom workflows becoming the new primitive would provide a solid basis for Kanban boards becoming a toggled, built-in view option.

3 Likes

I personally would love to be able to turn any query table into kanban, in a way like in Airtable.com , you can turn any single_select column, into kanban.

Screenshot_20221230_101803

Btw. I find ā€œuncategorizedā€ column very helful, as all records with ā€œemptyā€ value appear there, so I know what data I have missing/I have to ā€œfillā€ (by drag and dropping) + ability to add new ā€œstackā€ , which is effectively , new possible value in a column.

2 Likes

I would love to see a kanban-query combination, too.
Column A: Query Books+Bought
Column B: Query Books+Read
Column C: Query Books+Summarized

So far I only managed to build something like that with the productivity toolkit plugin.

1 Like

Yup that seems most usefull. Iā€™d love to see all TODOs of the Linked References of a page in a single kanbanā€¦