TLDR: Bumping this with the latest state of using Logseq and Obsdian together. I love using both Logseq and Obsidian, but I’m outlining my current gripes that prevent me from being fully happy with the experience. I put these examples together to open source solutions for these issues. Would love to hear how other people integrate the two successfully or if I’m an outlier.
I use Logseq as an outliner and Obsidian to write content. The outlining experience is phenomenal, but the writing experience is frustrating. I’ve followed everything in the Making Obsidian play nice with Logseq guide, but the experience is still not great.
The format that Logseq generates is mostly compatible with Obsidian. Since the beta release, Logseq uses “standard
- unordered list as outliner bullets”. This was a nice compatibility enhancement, but I still have some major gripes.
(These examples are snippets from my personal notes. I write meeting notes, notes on dog training techniques, and catalog recipes and meals that I have. Please ignore the content if you can help it )
Block references are not compatible.
Block references written in Logseq rendered in obsidian:
Block references written in Obsidian and rendered in Logseq:
I don’t know if this is something that will ever be compatible just because of how different Logseq and Obsidian implement their Block references; Logseq uses a UUID attached to a Block Property to identify a block, and obsidian uses a more standard
[^uniquehash] markdown footnote-style reference.
Written in Logseq and rendered in Obsidian:
Written and rendered in Logseq:
I like the way Logseq renders properties. If this were a standard feature of markdown, I’d say Obsidian should implement hiding or rendering these properties.
Slashes in page names do not create a page in a folder within Logseq
Logseq replaces the slash with a period. No idea why. This means I create multiple pages and my logseq and obsidian notes diverge. I think Logseq needs to switch their implementation here.
I put these examples together to open source solutions for these issues. Would love to hear how other people integrate the two successfully or if I’m an outlier.