Logseq and Obsidian.md Colaboration Projects

I’m just going to post this here. I think some collaborative project between Logseq and Obsidian.md would be awsome!!!

For one benefit, I hope Logseq and Obsidian can come together to make something where a note, whether created in Logseq or Obsidian is correctly formatted (formatted to the tool) it is opened in.

A Logseq note in Obsidian.md would be opened with the - [insert sentence] within edit mode in Obsidian.md leaving room for the addition of headings. And headings in Obsidian.md would be viewed as "first line, or seperated from the body of the note title.

But I am sure there would be many other benefits of collaborating on some features. Not to mention the added exposure each tool good recieve. Particularly, a great outlining, local first note-taking application like Logseq!

I love this idea… a lot of people want an outliner mode plugin in obsidian, and the recent api release enables people to create their own custom editors in the app…

What if the logseq team were the ones to create the outliner plugin for obsidian? It could be a lite version of logseq with a perfect integration with the full version… I imagine that would get A LOT more exposure for logseq, and considering they are both .md based this could be viable…

Of course that would mean diverting some team resources to the project, but it could be a worthy investment!

9 Likes

This would just make me way too happy, I don’t know what I would do! lol

6 Likes

Same here! Words couldn’t describe!! :exploding_head:

3 Likes

The idea is very interesting!
Also, I’ve been thinking of making logseq to be used inside VSCode for a long time. But unfortunately, we have many things to be done before those integrations, for example:

1. make the editor stable
  2. support unordered lists as bullets
  3. design && implement the plugins API
  4. build a mobile app

It will take a while before we finish the above things.
But I’m super happy if someone can make logseq to be used in Obsidian or VScode.
We can donate to people who’d like to make this happen.

9 Likes

As much as I use and love Obsidian together with Logseq, I do agree that making Logseq more stable and accesible to new comers should be a top priority, before an integration like this.

This plugin idea would definitely take time, effort, constant maintanance, specially since Obsidian’s API is still in early stages and is likely to keep changing.

With that said, I still think it’s a great idea and if anyone in this community has the time and skill to achieve this, I think this would be incredible and a great way to get more Obsidian users interested in Logseq as well!

9 Likes

Great idea. An goal that can easily be achieved in the near future is the above: specifically, to be able to open a Logseq markdown file in Obisidan, and being able to make limited edits in Obsidian within the Logseq-generated structure, and being able to open it back in Logseq. Things that are blocking it today:

• Logseq uses headings (#), instead of bullets (-)
  • Logseq doesn’t “cleanly” separate directory structure from config
    • this might just amount to renaming the config directory to “.logseq”
    • can Obsidian be told to ignore the .logseq directory?
  • How does Obsidian handle block metadata generated by Logseq?
  • How does Obsidian handle frontmatter generated by Logseq?
2 Likes

Unordered list “-“ style bullets are coming soon in logseq…

Obsidian doesn’t auto generate front matter or any sort of page content, so theres no conflicts in that regard…

Once we get normal markdown list bullets, they will be much more compatible…

6 Likes

Great Idea! But what I would put in the first priority is a mobile app. For both. Obsidian mobile is already in beta as I’ve heard.

3 Likes

I agree, I still think this collaboration project would be amazing, but yeah a Logseq mobile app that works with a built-in paid syncing option or with something like Dropbox would be amazing!

4 Likes

I think unordered lists as bullets will be a good start in adding support for Obsidian. Can this feature be added an option in Logseq?

1 Like

ideally as a toggle, where the user gets to decide when to make it into headings vs when to make it an unordered list. I think this would really make obsidian / logseq collaboration a lot smoother.

1 Like

I think, it’s now finally possible to achieve a perfect workflow between Logseq and Obsidian.

I wrote about it in Discord, in this message

This is What I said to @tienson and the @moderators… You have to check this out, if you haven’t already…
this is an Obsidian plugin that allows to use some basic outliner functionality.

With the new Logseq refactoring bullet points for markdow, the combination of Obsidian + Logseq is really close to perfect.

I know a lot of people use Obsidian + Logseq.

I’m not sure how much would be on Logseq’s part to make sure that Obsidian community plugin and Logseq work better together.

But definitely try to reach out the creator of that plugin, to help create an amazing workflow between Logseq and Obsidian.

As soon as plugins, themes, etc. became a part of Logseq, I have been thinking wouldn’t it be nice to just drag n drop an Obsidian.md. theme and use it in Logseq. I know this is not how things work and it’s not that easy. But wouldn’t it be nice.

1 Like

It’s an interesting idea. I don’t think it will be possible. However my way to contribute to something similar has been to recreate my Obsidian Theme to a Logseq Theme

On the Left my Logseq Theme Cobra

On the right my Obsidian Theme Wasp

2 Likes

TLDR: Bumping this with the latest state of using Logseq and Obsdian together. I love using both Logseq and Obsidian, but I’m outlining my current gripes that prevent me from being fully happy with the experience. I put these examples together to open source solutions for these issues. Would love to hear how other people integrate the two successfully or if I’m an outlier.

I use Logseq as an outliner and Obsidian to write content. The outlining experience is phenomenal, but the writing experience is frustrating. I’ve followed everything in the Making Obsidian play nice with Logseq guide, but the experience is still not great.

The format that Logseq generates is mostly compatible with Obsidian. Since the beta release, Logseq uses “standard - unordered list as outliner bullets”. This was a nice compatibility enhancement, but I still have some major gripes.

Examples

(These examples are snippets from my personal notes. I write meeting notes, notes on dog training techniques, and catalog recipes and meals that I have. Please ignore the content if you can help it :slight_smile: )

Block references are not compatible.

Example

Block references written in Logseq rendered in obsidian:
Block references written in Obsidian and rendered in Logseq:

I don’t know if this is something that will ever be compatible just because of how different Logseq and Obsidian implement their Block references; Logseq uses a UUID attached to a Block Property to identify a block, and obsidian uses a more standard [^uniquehash] markdown footnote-style reference.

Logseq Block Properties do not prettily render in Obsidian

Example

Written in Logseq and rendered in Obsidian:
Written and rendered in Logseq:

I like the way Logseq renders properties. If this were a standard feature of markdown, I’d say Obsidian should implement hiding or rendering these properties.

Slashes in page names do not create a page in a folder within Logseq

Summary

Logseq replaces the slash with a period. No idea why. This means I create multiple pages and my logseq and obsidian notes diverge. I think Logseq needs to switch their implementation here.

I put these examples together to open source solutions for these issues. Would love to hear how other people integrate the two successfully or if I’m an outlier.

8 Likes

Hi thank you for making this post! I recently also tried to make these two working together but failed : (. I think right now the most difficult thing is the block reference (which I unfortunately used a lot) since these are two totally different implementation

1 Like

Yes, the as-yet untranslatability of block references is indeed a major pain point. I have decided for the moment to keep block references for Logseq use only, as Obsidian block references makes considerable chaos in Logseq by creating meaningless pages.

It is possible, however, to navigate Logseq block references in Obsidian without too much difficulty. For example, one can simply search for the reference ID. Not ideal but it works well. I’m also aware of a script for Obsidian that makes that process even easier (created by a user of Obsidian). Hopefully I’ll be able to share it soon.

3 Likes

Would love to know the script!

Someone made a plugin for Obsidian compatibility with Logseq

Unfortunately the development stopped and it wasn’t merged into Obsidian community plugins
https://github.com/obsidianmd/obsidian-releases/pull/367

4 Likes