Option to disable auto-close parenthesis?

A huge +100 to allow disabling this feature. It is obtrusive and the single worst part of Logseq.

Asking users to re-learn how to interact with a text area in a product specific way that caters to a poorly implemented feature isn’t strictly the best way to grow the user base.

2 Likes

I support (and have asked elsewhere) this feature because it’s current imposing on users is not useful on so many levels:

1. it is not Context-Aware: If I only want to close a previous opened character from the auto-close map, put it only once there, not twice. Then, if I select some text and type a character from the Map, enclose the selected text with that character, as expected;

2. I want to be able to edit the whole auto-close sets map and keep what I find useful and remove what I find frustrating and not useful to me. For example, I would like that [[ to trigger not [[]] but []( [[]] ) so I can have a standard Markdown Link that also uses the Logseq Link Feature. After Auto-Completion, keep the cursor between the first [] just as with Links and then, if I type Enter or Tab (interchangeably) it should jump in between the Logseq Page Link square brackets;

3. I find it frustrating to use Logseq with Text Expanders when trying to Expand some text that has in it whatever characters from this auto-closing map because it ends up a messed up text with no sense. See Anybody using Espanso with Logseq? If so, how do deal with "replace" strings that contain [, (, etc -> which auto-complete the closing corespondent?;

Bottom line: I want to be able to Independently Toggle OFF the auto-closing characters feature and the Selected Text Enclosing feature as well as UNITE the Auto-Close feature with some internal Text Expanding feature so I can define not only what character sets will get auto-closed but what the end-format will look like just like with text expanders.

2 Likes

Plus one to an option to disable autopairing. I am most frustrated by backticks; I frequently go back to surround existing text with backticks and have to do a lot of extra arrow-keying and deleting. When I enter text, I basically always hit backtick to close the inline code style anyway; it’s faster than moving my fingers back to and from the arrow keys.

2 Likes

I would like the feature removed. It just gets in the way. If nothing else, a setting, turned off by default, for autopair.

1 Like

Really, just let us disable it. I love logseq but this frustrates me so much that I’m thinking of switching

1 Like

Adding more squeak to this wheel. I would go so far as to say this feature should be disabled entirely, and only brought back online once the necessary changes are made to make it optional. Clearly this is a low priority fix, so disable the feature now, then let the solution come when it may.

Leaving us in this state is bad for all.

I am okay with this feature and am surprised that people would look for an alternative to logseq because of it. I suppose that everyone has a different threshold for unacceptable inconvenience.

Among the problems listed above, it’s also incompatible with markdown codeblocks, which is a sore point for a markdown editor.