Rename Contents to Favorites

alternatively, we could rename the menu using css, unfortunately the section label is not easy to rename

.cp__right-sidebar-settings > .ml-4.text-sm:first-child > a {
	color: transparent;}
.cp__right-sidebar-settings > .ml-4.text-sm:first-child a:before {
	content: "Starred🌟";
	color: var(--ls-link-text-color);
	display: block;
	position: relative; 
}

replace Starred🌟 with the label you prefer

2 Likes

You bring up a lot of really good points.

I think I’ll personally need to see how my use of the space grows and changes, especially since I have the feeling we’ll see lots of new extensions that take advantage of it.

A big part of my confusion is just not being clear what the purpose of the page/space is yet.

1 Like

Given the current state of the documentation, I agree that the whole thing can be confusing and not really user-friendly…

sometimes, using Logseq is like playing Lego® without the building instructions nor the picture on the box… I kind of like that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is also “desk” - you can put everything on your desk, some things are permanent, some temporary. But no matter what, there is no equivalent to that in other apps and new users will be confused, especially those completely new, that don’t even know about linking things with [[ or generally how outliners works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree. But I am using contents as “drawer”, not a desk :sweat_smile:
Personally prefer bookmarks because it is easier for rookies to understand.

1 Like

Nooo, stop, you’re using it wrong!!! :laughing:

btw, also shelf - this name is actually somehow functioning out there I think, there is even an app called Noteshelf http://www.noteshelf.net/ :laughing:

2 Likes

shelf makes sense to me. This metaphor and living style seem user-friendly. “Contents” makes new users confusing.

1 Like

Good idea, shelf sounds cool and original. Bookmark is very intuitive as well.
I still like Quick Access too.

@moderators what would you guys think of making a poll with everyone’s ideas? I guess it could be done here or as a new posts perhaps

Of course only if that sounds good to the devs, wouldn’t like to force this into a democracy if that’s not what works for the vision of Logseq :sweat_smile:

Thanks!

3 Likes

I’ll tell my daughter, she loves playing Lego and drawing using Excalidraw :slightly_smiling_face:

@cannibalox the problem with ‘contents’ is (as I mentioned last Sept!) that it implies a complete listing of what is in the graph, like a table of contents. At first I was confused as to why it didn’t list all pages. Workbench, favorites, etc. are all fine because they don’t suggest that.

‘Shelf’ is fine, I guess, but the advantage of ‘favorites’, ‘bookmarks’, and similar terms is that they accurately convey given that the list includes only things that the user manually chooses to put there.

1 Like

The poll is here:

Of course only if that sounds good to the devs, wouldn’t like to force this into a democracy if that’s not what works for the vision of Logseq :sweat_smile:

No worries at all! Logseq exists because everyone here uses it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Awesome thanks a lot @tienson for taking the time to make the poll. It’s a great way to see what everyone things! Excited to see how it goes

1 Like

I just voted in the poll for Desk. I would also suggest “Home.” To me, Home implies a base location to make use of for whatever regular habits/uses one has.

The thing that I get confused a bit about some of the suggestions (e.g. favourites, contents, etc.) is that I feel like something would be automated about that page, like clicking elsewhere would automatically add a page link to it, or merely the act of creating pages elsewhere would automatically show them in this page. Whereas, if I understand correctly, it’s not doing that–it’s there for the user to decide what to put in it.

I would vote for Home too.
But I would vote also for adding to this area short explanation how it can be used (“pinned” pages, inbox, main MOC/index, workbench, dashboard and other uses), instead of placeholder “Click here to add a page, e.g. [[favorite-page]]”. Otherwise it will be always confusing for fresh users, IMO. Main area on logseq.com is prepopulated with small tutorial, why not do the same to sidebar? You can easily remove text and have clear space after you read that.

2 Likes

I think both are true - the user decides what to put there, but actions taken on other pages (like manually marking the page ‘favorite’) will automatically add a link to the page in that section.

1 Like

Oh! Your comment just got me to re-examine how things work. I can’t imagine how I missed this (in spite of all these comments and the functionality in the tool)… somehow I completely overlooked that the Add to Contents (or whatever it will be called) menu item existed and does indeed do the sort of automation I was imagining. :slight_smile:

I strike my previous comment… maybe need to change my vote now.

1 Like

Personally I think the different wishes simply reflect the way different people intend to use it. Thus keeping one “standard term” for it but making the displayed name editable in order to show what’s living in there seems the best possible solution to me :slight_smile:
For myself I’m gonna literally use it as a table as contents (An ordered list of my core pages) - but like with anybody else that’s just me.

What confused me even more than the name itself, was the fact that the page is called “contents.md” but is displayed under “Favorites” in the sidebar.

Could they at least get the same name?

2 Likes

We made a favorite section and a left sidebar! Hopefully this clears up some confusion :smiley: